Overclocking Q6600 1066 FBS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Damski, 11 Jan 2010.

1. Damski

Damski What's a Dremel?

I have a Q6600 that I know to be overclockerable some what, then last month me with my 0 experiance at overclocking, got a gift in from custom pc with a guide on how to oc my CPU. Ok it was some what different cos of my mobo, but I got the idea on what to do. So I increased my fsb from 1066 to 1300 or what ever the number was that was printed in the mag with the other setting. Low and behold on the boot screan 3.6Mhz but windows didn't like it. Temps should have been fine as I'm running a H50 water cooler. Either way blue screen and reset bios setting with no damage done, all working fine still. So I googles some more and fond my mobo (Asus P5N-D nForce 750i) to have a max fbs of 1066. Does this mean I won't be able to eak any more out of it?

The mobo has an auto oc setting of 5 10 and 20% oc but any more than 5 and it blue screens. Also in the guild you changed the Mhz from 266 to 400 to get the fbs. My mobo won't let me change this only the direct fsb, would that have made any difference?

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the 1066 FSB, is a supported speed of FSB for the later 45nm series such as Q9xxx and E8xxx CPU's.

This has nothing to do with overclocking.

Your machine BSOD most likely due to a lack of a voltage increase, also expecting to push 3.6GHz straight away is a little silly as every CPU is different.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You should be able to OC it.
    You'll need to check the RAM speeds & up the voltage a bit to make it stable though.
    Try 1333, this should be possible without any voltage increase (unless you've got one of the iffy Q6600's I've seen that won't OC at all)

4. Damski

Damski What's a Dremel?

The voltage I left on auto tbh my CPU is a Q6600 Energy efficent SLACR 95w edition 2.4Mhz, so if any one else has this mobo (asus P5N-D) CPU combo and got it to oc? My ram I did under clock I to the speed the ram is ment to run at. Unfortunatly this is only 800mhz.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Sounds like more voltage is needed. Your board is not giving it enough juice on auto.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

800Mhz is perfectly fine considering that will give you you're 400Mhz FSB (DDR double data rate, ergo 800MHz is actually 400Mhz limit)

400Mhz x9 (multiplier) = 3.6GHz.

Just volts need tweaking and as i mentioned, 3.6GHz might not be possible all depending.

7. Damski

Damski What's a Dremel?

Ok that kinda makes sence but I can't change the 400mhz only then end fsb if that makes a difference? Is there a scale for the voltage so I know what I'm looking for? I know I need to take small steps. So how would I find what the voltage should be for say 355mhz 377mhz and 400mhz?Also the fact that my motherboard is only rated for 1066FSB won't make a difference will it??

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

You should be able to change the multiplier of the CPU somewhere, this will change how the FSB is generated.

There is no set voltage for 355, 377, 400 etc, you have to tweak your system, every chip is different so there is no standard.

I suggest you do some more reading and research as it sounds to me like your not 100% sure on what your doing. Try and read up on what each thing does, and how they are calculated. There was a good article in CPC a while back with explanations of bios settings and what they meant and how they worked.

9. Damski

Damski What's a Dremel?

you are very right in that statment, But the more forums and web sites I read the more I get confused to be honest. Either way I know custom pc has a book on over clocking, so is it worth it would it get me more up to speed to understand the fundermentals of overclocking or would it be too out of date by now? :sigh:

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits