1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Eco-Byte (Jan 12, 2010)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by murray, 13 Jan 2010.

1. murray

murray What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    The goal of this project is to create a small, energy-efficient, computer for browsing the internet and basic word processing. I am using the hardware that I had lying around. This includes:

A very old Pentium 3 motherboard,
    [​IMG]

A HUGE 6.4GB Hard Drive,
    [​IMG]

I still have to find a power supply (the one in the photos does not work).

The computer is only going to have the bare essentials (motherboard, PSU, HDD, video card and sound card).

Now for some initial renders!

[​IMG]

The color scheme is not locked down yet, and I am open to suggestions (I was thinking white and green or black and green).

Now for some progress shots!:dremel:

I started by creating a frame out of metal channel used for drywall. I spot welded it together at school to make it very strong.

[​IMG]

I then test-fit my components.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I am going to start to cut the side panels.

2. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Isn't that a baby AT/AT board?

If so you may want to make sure you have space for a mATX/ATX board down the road if you decide to swap it out. Same goes for PSU.

3. PyROZen

PyROZen What's a Dremel?

looks off to a good start, but you could definitly make that case alot smaller if a tiny case was you goal as well. But if it wasn't continue!

another question though, will these old componets be more efficent than a new, decently powerful rig?

4. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Probably not. An Intel Atom based rig would use less power and give similar/better performance.