1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Why Scan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkBanana, 13 Jul 2009.

1. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

I don't understand why everyone seems to recommend scan on the forums... They aren't amazingly cheap and at the moment at least, ccl offers free next day delivery so things seems to come out cheaper overall. Plus they won an award from PcPro user survey. Is there something I'm not getting? :S

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They have one of the largest selections, and you can get free shipping if your nice ( :p )
    Also, they aren't that much more expensive, but have always been helpful and quick.

Any issues have been sorted as well, and RMA department are quite good :thumb:

3. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

Because they use to be partnered with bit-tech to offer free delivery, however they have now stopped this link. We are too stuck in our ways to change.

Furthermore price differences are in the pennies and we prefer what we know.

4. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

You can get free delivery with Scan if you join AV Forums and make 20 + posts, then you can click a certain link and your Scan account is updated with free delivery.

I used them and have absolutely no complaints - with free delivery I got most of my components through there.

Customer service wasn't bad.

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Their customer service is pretty much excellent, even though they sent me a black P180 instead of a gun metal P182 and insisted that I was mistaken when i contacted them. Turns out I wasn't, and it was actually black, but when I saw a gun metal case in person I preferred the black, plus they had sent me a mark 2 P180 with the 182 modifications, so it all worked out OK in the end :lol:
    I should add; I've had to return various faulty items to them and RMAs have always gone very smoothly, with agents on the phone even checking to see how many units from the amount they had sold had been returned as faulty to help me decide between refund and replacement.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2009
  6. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

Scan are pretty good to use. The prices are fairly good and the service is better than most. I've only had two RMA's with Scan, one was very good, the other pretty crap to be honest. From comments I've read on this forum, Ebuyer are supposed to be quite good (though I've not used them personally). One company a lot of people on this forum don't like, are Overclockers. Personally I've had 3 RMA's in about four years and I've had absolutely no problems at all with the returns. I suppose its just luck of the draw.

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

they reply to enquiries pretty quickly

have used them over an extended period of time and not had any issues

good selection of items

free shipping

that being said i'm not a fan of the website

and lately things are getting cheaper elsewhere (on select products, overall scan still seem to come out cheaper)

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I find them pretty cheap.

They're also extremely reliable in my experience and I've had no complaints to date. I think I first started using them in 2003! :)

Plus their warehouse in Bolton is easy to find to and you can pick up your stuff if you want to.

9. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I always find scan are cheaper all round for most things, plus free delivery.
    Having used them for years the service has been top notch.

10. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

Just out of interest, of the people that use scan to buy parts for a whole system, would you take out scansure?

11. Slizza

No :p

12. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

I've never bothered with it.

13. Mickenoss

Mickenoss What's a Dremel?

I choose scan because the delivery is next day as standard, and they pretty much always deliver.
    You might get it a bit cheaper elsewhere, but you're always limited for choice and try RMAing something, scan are 10/10 everytime for me.

...and no, I don't use scansure. It's like insurance in that you'll probably never need it but it maaaay come in handy if you don't know what you're doing =)

14. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

Really? I must be doing something wrong. On average if I order online, lets say on a Monday morning, I generally wouldn't get my order till Wednesday. If I order from everyone's favourite, Overclockers, :naughty: My goods are delivered within 24 hours from initial order. My payment to Scan goes out promptly though (on my card).
    It's not really a problem, just as long as I get my goods I'm not too fussed.

15. Slizza

Must just be you, iv'e had next day every single time apart from fridays saturdays or sundays for obvious reasons.

16. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

having recently bought stuff from scan for the first time, i can happily say I'm impressed.

They replied to my emails quickly (about an hour) and where happy to change around my order for me (wanted to remove an item that was out of stock), more importantly the emails where not just copy+paste stock phrases, they actually seemed to have real people replying, a very nice change indeed.

That and tbh the postage is pretty reasonable 7 quid for next day delivery is certainly not bad.

That said the website is rather ugly and a bit odd to navigate. (although does have decent filtering options)

Ebuyer is also a great choice, nicer website, good range of products and decent price (although its GFX cards and SSD's are way out of line price-wise)

17. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I do on small items when it ends up costing £1-2 extra but not for stuff that would be impossible to damage, eg. My Corsair HX450, what am I gonna do installing it wrong? Throw water on it? o_O

I love their prices but Overclockers is still the king of OCZ ram pricing ^_^

18. rizla4

rizla4 What's a Dremel?

I think SCANSURE is a rip off & I will not be using Scan again after not realising this now goes in you basket by default.

SCANSURE reminds of the extended warranties high street shops try and rip you off with.

CCL look good thanks for the tip. I've also had very good service from ebuyer & quitepc.

19. The Razman

The Razman What's a Dremel?

I did a lot of hunting around sites before I brought from Scan, and the reason I chose them is simple ... ebuyer had too many reports of bad customer service knocking around, dabs was both expensive and you couldn't contact them by phone, and Overclockers were just out and out dodgy.

Those other websites might be just fine, but Scan got everything to me very quickly, were polite on the phone and got everything to me without a single hitch. So I'm happy with them, for now.

20. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Methinks we have a hate troll!

You dont like scan. You dont like scansure. you wont buy from scan again.

We get it, you dont need to post the same ramblings again.