Graphics Duffed 5850, fixable?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Xonar, 2 Feb 2010.

1. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I was in the process of getting my new loop up and running and I was fixing a tube to the top of the graphics card with a clamp when...my hand slipped :sigh:.I appear to have knocked of a tiny peice of the graphics card, I still have the pieve but I was wondering if it would be possible to solder it back on or if it would be able to run without it? Even if I'm 1 memory chip down and the card is safe to run? So miffed with myself right now, it's only 2 weeks old too :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Put the air cooler back on and rma it. Play ignornance to the bit not being on etc.

Andy

3. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

btw, if you're doing the "playing ignorance" thing, it's generally a good idea not to have posted on the e-tailer's forum using the same ID as you do here.

Also, it may be considered fraud to do it, so be careful. You could wind up in a lot of trouble.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that's not a memory chip, it's a resistor.. soldering wire into those spots in can be a real pain.. they are so small- had to do it to add a vr and volt mod my 8800gtx.. had to have a magnifying glass and small iron

I would think in a rma they would spot the damage right away.. you might as well repair it or get someone who can

5. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Ye I realised that but it's on the underside of a memory chip so I'd assumed it would knock out the whole chip as it seems to be one of the larger resistor's.

6. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

Is it just C2740 that you broke off? (its a capacitor btw not a resistor) there seem to be 3 sets of pads showing signs of damage to the right and below, can't see clearly as the camera is focused on the screw behind not the actual damage.

I'll offer to put to back on for you if you have the cap. or if you can get a reading and can source another.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2010
  7. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

C2740 is the only capacitor damaged, I've taken it clean off but I still have the piece. I've also damaged 3 blobs of solder below the capacitor.

8. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

I'll attempt a repair on it if you want... You pay postage obviously.

Also no guarantees, I'll do what I can, but I can't promise anything.

Also I'd be worried about the damaged pads, they look like they held tiny caps/resistors, so ya, no guarantees.

(The soldering is not an issue for me, however if you have gouged a track or killed more then the one (or few) caps, there isn't a lot I can do)