1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Installing Titan Fenrir (Thermal Paste)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlydoors, 13 Dec 2009.

1. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

I saw this thread and it got me thinking about the application of thermal paste when mounting a direct contact heatpipe cooler.

I currently have the Fenrir in my setup and I've constantly had 38-40 idle temps (this is on a stock i7 920) and don't even ask about load temps.

Okay, go on then, they're around 75-80, after an hour of Prime95.

Pants, I know.

This is all taking place using AS-5, in an Antec 300, with four case fans (2 in, 2 out). The room is comfortably warm (no record of temp), but judging by these benchmarks, I should be getting no where those load temps.

It's also been a key reason preventing me from overclocking my i7 920 - which, frankly, it was created to do.

I've been thinking that I've not applied enough paste to the Fenrir/top of the CPU, so I'm going to reseat it when I have a little time and hope for the best. I use this method of application.

Anyone have any general thoughts on applying paste to the Fenrir, and general installation instructions?

Cheers :hip:

2. Jeevus

Jeevus Minimodder

I am running an overclocked E8400 with a Fenrir and Antec 300 with 4 fans. The I just got the CPU to 4.05Ghz with temps of 42 idle and 50 at full load on Prime for 9hrs.

I couldn't see the images from that other thread but when I installed my Fenrir, I applied a thin layer (cling-film method) to the CPU and then also applied the AS5 with my finger to the base of the heatsink, mainly trying to fill in the gaps.

I guess it works for me so might be worth giving it a go. Also I have the Fenrir exhausting up but not sure just how much difference that makes.

3. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

wow those temps are really awful - thats more than i get at 4Ghz under load lol.

which way did u mount it? iv heard that mounting it so the fan is just above the gfx card can cause high temps - hot air gets blown through the heatsink which is bad.

when i installed my fenrir i just used a tiny blob (half a pea sized) and squashed it with the heatsink.

btw the way, are the temps on high or low fanspeed?

4. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

yes those load temps are bad at stock. I get around 38c idle on stock which I am not happy about either but under load it just goes to about 50c. i'd try resitting your heatsink

5. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Ohh poor show indeed.
    My temps wil not break 70 on any core whilst overclocked and running prime.

6. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Yeah, as I thought.

Thanks for your responses, I'll definitely reseat the b*stard will probably go with Jeevus' method.

The Fan is currently exhausting out of the back of the case, drawing in (supposedly) cool air from the front of the case. I have two intake fans at the front of my Antec 300 and the top and rear fan exhaust for me.

7. barndoor101

yeah definately reseat the heatsink. with a 300 you shouldnt normally get cooling problems.

8. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Okay, so I reseated the Fenrir with extra paste and now I get 33 at idle and 65/66 at load.

This is with all 4 Antec 300 fans at low setting.

I feel happier with this, but should I be satisfied, or should I reseat again?

Thanks

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Is that with the CPU fan speed on low? Stock speeds or overclocked?

That seems fine to me TBH, my i5 750 at 3.2GHz on stock volts idles around 30-35 and reaches 60-65 at load with the Fenrir, depending on room temps.

10. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Sounds good to go.

11. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

CPU fanspeed on low, stock speeds, warmish room

Happy with that! :D

12. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Should really be in the mid 50's at stock frequencies.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I like using the toothpick method myself.. same as a credit card- actually anything with a strait edge to get the final swipe of the tim over the top and even it out really well.. then seat it at an angle and down instead of strait down over the top- that should get the whole chip without bubbles

the easiest method is rice size blob in the middle and strait down.. but it doesn't get the whole thing- it's enough to cover the important part- the cores

14. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Would you ever put paste on the base of the heatsink itself - if so, how much? I put a fair amount on the cpu itself, but only a slither on the heatsink.

15. barndoor101

sounds like too much, just put it on the cpu and either squish it down or spread it into a very thin layer.

16. Carper

Carper Guru

Seems like thats why your temps are high because you have too much on. Best way to do it is to put a pea size of paste on your CPU and spread it without putting anymore on your heatsink.

17. giskard

giskard System builder

Maybe you should check out the instructions on Arctic's website fo applying AS5 to a quad core CPU - I followed the instructions and get 32-33 degrees idle temp on my i7-920.

As far as I can tell, spreading the TIM evenly across the CPU heatspreader increases the risk of air bubbles when you just plonk the cooler on top.

18. tpy_roker

tpy_roker What's a Dremel?

I had very similar problems with my new i7 860 system running at 4ghz, also with a Titan Fenrir. Core temps were up to 90. Reseated the cooler with a blob of thermal grease (pea sized) in the middle and the temps dropped to 45.

19. TheHalfWit

TheHalfWit Call me dino

I agree with everyone else here, your problem was too much applied thermal paste, when we built the computer in the basement, we followed bit-tech's method from here but we took pea sized as literally as it is possible, all I'm using is a noctua heatsink and their thermal compound with temps of 28-31C idle and max of 55C with linx, 50C with P95.

Edit: Sorry about bump :duh: I forgot to look at date stamps and assumed thread was newish because it was on front page. :wallbash:

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

was not your bump was the new user to the forums hello tpy_roker