1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux How do you partition your hard drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by freshsandwiches, 27 Feb 2010.

1. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Hello all,

I've been dabbling in linux on and off for a wee while now. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu on my older desktop system. I like it and would like to explore using open source software more on my main system.

I was wondering how you guys partition your hard drives. What do you consider the best set-up? I'm going to dual boot win 7 and Ubuntu or mint.

Cheers

2. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

For common usage (non-server or others specific task) :

/
    /home
    swap (Depend of your RAM, but no too big)

Currently I'm using EXT4, but EXT3 it's fine.
    Size are up to you, but give / 4Gb at least if you go for a full system install (I.e.: Non small footprint distros) and I will put a little more there (because most programs and games are installed there unless you make changes to install them in /home).
    You could avoid swap if you have a lot of RAM and don't use suspend/hibernate.

Advantages: You can format / without lossing /home. The same if / got corrupts, etc...
    Disadvantages: With other OS maybe you need to make more extended partitions, as logical ones will be all used.

3. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

50gig windows OS's
    50gig non-windows OS's
    Rest as a shared partition (about 360gig in my case)

Having the separate shared partition for storing most of my data makes installing OS's much easier for me. Which is good as I tend to break Ubuntu quite often.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

SSD: windows 7
    WD Raptor: windows 7 files such as User\ and ProgramData\
    WD Black: games for 700GB, temp for 250GB (eg, shifting files)
    WD Green: file storage, looking to move this to a NAS.

best setup is to have a SSD for your main OS, and a fast HDD for those small files that gets changed a lot, such as those files inside User\ ProgramData\ and Windows\Temp\, thus prolonging the SSD's life.

for dual-booting, i think it's best to ignore the boot-loader and use your motherboard's HDD boot selector to choose where to boot from. this is because if you are using Ubuntu boot-loader, and then decides to re-install Windows, it will overwrite Ubuntu boot-loader, creating a lot of hassle.

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Gentoo Server, doing NAS, proxy,...

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, 4GB RAM, 160GB OS HD, 3*1TB Data storage

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1              92M   25M   63M  29% /boot
    /dev/sda2              8GB SWAP
    /dev/sda3             9.4G  288M  8.7G   4% /

Mdadm RAID5 Array (3*1TB):
    /dev/md0              1.9T  679G  1.2T  37% /home

LVM on /dev/sda4:
    /dev/mapper/neptune-tmp
                          1.0G   33M  992M   4% /tmp
    /dev/mapper/neptune-var
                           15G  2.2G   13G  15% /var
    /dev/mapper/neptune-usr
                          9.9G  3.5G  6.0G  37% /usr
    /dev/mapper/neptune-squid
                           11G  8.4G  2.7G  76% /var/cache/squid
    /dev/mapper/neptune-portage
                          1.0G  352M  673M  35% /usr/portage
    /dev/mapper/neptune-distfiles
                           10G  887M  9.2G   9% /usr/portage/distfiles

I also have a ramdisk mounted, to speed up compiling (Gentoo ;))
    portage               2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /var/tmp/portage

6. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

SSD: /
    WD Green: /home
    No swap.

I run the sameish setup on my laptop with a 4GB (/) and 16GB (/home) SSD and I will get round to doing it on my server with an identical WD Green for /home and either a fast 2.5" HDD or an SSD for /. Currently / is on the Green drive and it is sloooooooowwwwww. I quite like the idea of having /temp etc on a fast HDD though, although surely that sort of negates the benefit of having an SSD in the first place?

7. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

GNU/Linux.

Free software. Even though Ubuntu will, if I remember correctly, automatically suggest a "small handful" of proprietary or open source programs from time to time, depending if they're "needed" for your hardware.

Aside from my schoolgirl-like rant: what Kumo said. Except that I put swap in the middle, because I once read it's (barely) "better"; and I think it makes the partition table look cute.

With an OS like Ubuntu (which comes with a big-ish desktop environment and, if I may so, seems bloated) you definitely want a decent-sized root partition. Running out of space on / is not good.
    Like someone else said, you can install applications to other partitions, but I'd rather do a re-install than that. It's unhygienic.

Eventually, you'll get a really good 'feel' for your preferred partition sizes, once you are aware of all the applications you need/want, and how much extra room you need for the future applications you're going to want :D

8. complover

complover What's a Dremel?

Simple answer - dont! Once you partitian it its extremely hard (if not impossible) to restore.

Plus it causes all sorts of problems. You're best off buying either another hard drive or an external one, they're quite cheap these days. Either that, or just allocate a set of space to gaming, art, whatever.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

And how do you do your swap? In a file (which is even slower then dirt slow)?

10. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

/
    /boot
    /mnt/raid

i tend to leave most of the system all on one big partition, so that folders can grow as they need to. the only benefit i can see to partitioning is that you can reformat without losing data, but with a proper backup plan that isn't necessary. also, i don't do swap. ram is cheaper than SSDs.

glider, what's the reasoning behind the lvm on sda4?

11. geoboy333

geoboy333 Not always completely useless

how do you tell windows to put the files such as User and program data not on the main OS partition. I'v etried to do it many times now and have not yet found a way.

12. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Are you kidding, right? :eyebrow:

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

look into Vlite and unattended install method.