1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Server 2003 migration issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by corvette, 28 Feb 2010.

1. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

Gday guys i have a couple of issues i need help with

ive done a migration of server sbs 2003 to new hardware and 2 issues im having now i cant seem to figure out

1. all the users My documents where being stnced to the server IE \\server01\users\user
    now the new server is in i have updated the AD profile to point to \\server\user

only 1 machine has updated its profile the rest are still pointing to \\server01\users\user

2. the new server has migrated successfully but when i take the old server offline nobody can log in.... i dont understand why i checked everything and it seems to be fine i followed the MS technet instruction step by step and yea lol still these issues

if any1 can help you will be a legend

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Did you move the FSMO roles?
    You should have swung the hardware so the new server ended up being called the same as the old one.

3. corvette

ive checke and double checked everything looks like its all done right is there anyway i can get these clients to change there Sync folders to the new server

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Is the new server showing as a DC with replicated DNS & GC?
    Is everything still in the same domain?
    If you've changed the profile path in AD then a simple reboot should force the change (providing permissions are correct)

Check DHCP is issuing the new server as the default DNS server to see why you can't log in when the old server is off. It may be because DNS hasn't replicated properly.

5. corvette

The new server has replicated the dns and AD, the dhcp is given out the new servers IP for the DNS.

ive checked both Servers AD \\bbserver01 has all the same settings as \\bbserver

ie when i right click properties on a user name check the profile they are all pointing to \\bbserver\etc

ive rebooted PCs and tried gpupdate -force nothing seems to work hell i reformatted a PC and loged in under a users name right click on the my docs folder and it still comes up \\bbserver01

this is drivin me nuts please sombody help me

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Sounds like the My Docs folder is being redirected by group policy under the user section & folder redirection

7. corvette

thats been changed to and i really need a response to why without bbserver01 does the network stop authenticating because its after the 7 days and now sbs is rebooting like every hour and a half ive double checked all the settings and they have all changed over to BBSERVER, but still happening.

please guys honestly im willing to give sombody remote access to the server to check it.

i really need this sorted out asap

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I don't mind logging in if you give me remote access to both boxes.
    PM me the details

corvette likes this.
  9. corvette

Add me to MSN

Hey dude thanks for willing to help out, add me to MSN the bbserver01 box is currently down and i can get it back up till tuesday morning Australian EST

my msn is cerwinvega@optushome.com.au