1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Thinking about my next PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Holbroom, 11 Mar 2010.

1. Holbroom

Holbroom What's a Dremel?

I was just looking for some advice about upcomming PC hardware, I'm thinking about renewing my system but im not sure when the best time to do it, i plan to have all the latest technology and i wanted to ask the following questions.

Top spec Gaming system in mind.

* Is there any new major tech on the horizon which is worth waiting for? and if so what is the predicted release dates. (CPU, GPU)

* What should i look out for when building a gaming rig? (Lots of memory, multiple GPU's)

* What make of cases are best for gaming? (Cooling in mind)

* AMD or Intel for gaming?

I hope somebody can throw me some advice, it would be appreciated a lot.

:D

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

1> Hello :)

2> This is in the wrong forum.

3> clicky

I'm of the opinion that you should just buy what's available now, as waiting for stuff to appear can be a frustrating process, and there's always something else just around the corner.

The big one at the moment is "Should I wait for Fermi"?

I would say no. Just get a 5870 or a GTX295.

3. Holbroom

Really sorry for posting in the wrong forum :s

My current spec is 4 gig of DDR2 memory and 1 x GTX290, with a duel core 3.0 Intel CPU

On the new battlefield game i get around 20-25 FPS during combat, what would be most beneficial to me for increasing my FPS, an extra GPU or more memory, or something else?

Thanks in advance :)

PS: thanks for the link, ill bookmark it and check every month.

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You have a GTX290 and its only 20-25 fps? Something isn't quite right there.

Are you running Windows 7?

You would probably be fine with your ram, motherboard etc, and just putting in a Socket 775 Core 2 Quad, like a QX9550 or 9650.

As per the above, the hardware buyer's guide is a great place to be if you want to do your whole rig over.

If you go back to the forum index, two links above this one is one called "Hardware" which is where people generally talk about computer builds :)

Also, if you make it to 75 posts on these forums before building your new PC, assuming you decide to go for it, there's a For Sale forum here, where you can sell your old parts to help fund the upgrade :)

5. Holbroom

Acctually thinking now i think its a 1 Gig GTX285, what FPS should i be expecting? i used Fraps to measure it, on the loading screens and menus it was sat at 60 FPS then in game it was around 20-25/30.

I am running 64 bit windows 7, would that be the cause do you think?

Im hoping a mod can move this thread to the correct forum :)

My old PC will most probably be given to my older brother, as his blew up and hes moaning he cant play wow! :)

6. Zoon

I dunno, it is a fairly new game I guess, but that just seems a bit on the low side for your spec.

Sticking to the buyer's guide will see you right, and if you want a mod to move it, its best to click the little ! in the warning triangle under any reply in here and ask :)

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

It's a GTX-285? nVIDIA's current most-powerful single-GPU 'card? (I don't think the GTX290 exists, does it? :confused:) You should be getting better than 20-25fps from that; 4GB of RAM shouldn't be holding you back and x64 definitely won't be either. I can only guess it's your CPU, or bad drivers and the like. How big's the screen you play on? And what CPU is it exactly?

8. Holbroom

i play on a 36 inch Sony Bravia TV, using DVI to HDMI cable, could that be my problem?

9. PureSilver

No, that seems unlikely as I'm guessing that TV is only 720p - a resolution of just 1280x720. Even if it is the much higher 1080p (1920x1080) your graphics card should not be struggling at that resolution. I have a feeling that the new Battlefield title prefers quad cores (which is certainly an upgrade I would recommend before I recommend a new graphics card - something to beat the 285 convincingly would have to be a 5870, for the price of which you could have a new i5 system).

10. Holbroom

Thanks, i was thinking about getting a quad system but i was told that not many games support quad and only dual and it would be a waste of money, times have obviously moved on since then :)

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

There aren't that many games that currently support quads, but it's becoming the default. Expect big titles from now on to support it (pretty much all of them anyway).

12. PureSilver

Well, TechSpot's GTX-285 achieved a much more reasonable 50.2fps at 'High' settings in B:BC2 when partnered with an i7 920, even at 1080p (which I don't think your TV is). However, to quote from the end of that article;

So, maybe whatever's up isn't your CPU. Have you checked your drivers etc?

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

anything new soon - 6 screen eyefinity? hex core (not gonna be great for gaming but extra cores are always nice esp if you have something running in the background)

14. Holbroom

Thanks for all the help and information, i checked my driver and the driver date was 27/09/2009 so ive updated it to one which is dated 19/01/2010

Not sure if it will make much difference though :)

15. Zoon

You'd be surprised what difference a driver upgrade can make at times :)

Tags: