1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory BSOD, "Memory Managaement"

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Trenthan, 15 Mar 2010.

1. Trenthan

Trenthan What's a Dremel?

Ey guys ill give you the full story so you know where im coming from.

Just after Christmas my GPU died in my PC. RMA'd if off and got it back. During that period i purchase windows 7 and a TV tuner card.

Got everything back and put it together. Put windows 7 64 bit professional on and had a sotrm of issues. started off with blue screens left right and centre. It just so happens the tv card was DOA and had an intermittent fault, so it would work than cut out etc.

until i figured that out i had installed every driver out for it so i just assumed it was blue screening because of how many different forms of drivers i had installed and probably stuffed something up. Formatted, returned the card and got another. it worked no issues. and no more blue screens. less than a week later i hadn't used the computer much i boot up and here i am again blue screens during windows, while booting up etc. (couldnt even load windows up without shitting out)

I figured it might be the ram or something but since the pc is water cooled its hard to get to my ram slots. BTW the error than was "CMF_LIST_CURRUPT" hence i thought a driver installtion had gone wrong but i hadnt done any or loaded any windows updates. Went through pulling parts out one by one. I have a UPS unit, and for the hell of it i unplugged it and it WORKED!. started up no issues, it was warm that afternoon so i assumed it had overheated and wasn't supplying a constant voltage or a varying current.

Since than i haven't used it and its been fine for the past 2 weeks. Ive used it alot also 3-6 hours at least 5 days a week. today it starts all over again!, blue screen during windows now the PC wont even boot.

BSOD, "MEMORY_MANAGMENT"

ive removed my sticks of ram and tried them 1 by 1 in mem-test-86. Now 2 sticks pass 1 loop fine, the third wont even pass test1 of loop 1. Now for the hell of it i put the two working sticks in and it fails....... (when i say fails no errors on the screen it just reboots!! during the mem test)

they pass individually why would they fail together....

the third stick wont even allow me to get to the bios screen so im assuming its dead...

btw the rig is
    Core i7 920
    ASUS P6T Deluxe v1 M/b
    3x2gig 1600 Corrsair 8-8-8-24-2T ram
    gtx285's, sli

any other tests i can run..... or if any1 can explain why 2x2gig of ram will fail, but individually pass.

Also how many loops are worth running to check if the ram is fine.

cheers Trent and Thx

2. Trenthan

ok after memory testing for hours this is what ive found

Stick 1

Stick 2

Stick 3

Stick 1 and Stick 2, passed over 7 loops in mem-test-86 on their own. Only a single 2gig stick in the m/b at once

Stick 3 on its own wont even boot the machine so im assuming its ....dead????

However, running stick 1 and 2 together so i would have 2x2gig, fails on the first test in mem-test-86** they both pass independantly..... i dont understand this......

Writing this right now ive stuck all 3 sticks in, with Stick 3 in channel C, now it boots and is running atvm. It has detected 6gig of ram...... so i thought stick 3 was dead.... wtf???

Little lost and confussed any1 have any ideas.....

No blue screens atvm..... but something is up..... Ive just flashed the bios to the latest version and retreied the above tests no difference.....

Cheers Trent

3. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

Are you doing the Windows mem test or the bootable CD from memtest.org?

If I suspect RAM I do a minimum of three full passes of memtest with all case fans off to let the RAM get nice and warm, this just makes heat related errors easier to spot. If it passes this there's an excellent chance it's good.

PS: I have a Corsair 8GB DDR3 kit that worked for a year @ 1600 [rated to 1600], but I've had to drop it to 1333 [with better timings] as it's a bit temperamental even in an air tunnel of a case with a max temp of 40ºC. No performance loss at all as the latency is better. It will work happily @ 1600 with a 0.2V bump though.

4. Trenthan

Yes memtest-86 with a bootable CD. When i did each test i had no fan on the memory just the radiator fans going. The single stick "Stick 3" wouldnt even boot the PC so i dunno with that one and it was cold when i tried it. Had been out the case for over 4 hours

Ive also jsut done a 30min stress test in prime 95 and no problems...... passed 1024k and 8k tests. I know it heats the ram up nicely so i did put the fan cooler back on them just to keep abit cooler.

Also i tried memtest with all 3 sticks in, this time around it doesnt "restart", like when i have 2 sticks in. It freezes instead!.

Cheers Trent

5. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Being that sticks one and two pass seperately but not together makes me think the mobo is at fault here.

6. Trenthan

hmmm any there any way to test the m/b as such....??

Gotta chase a few mates up to see if they can try the ram out in their PC's but i dont think anyone i know has a m/b with ddr3 support lolz; and see if it passes or fails. If the ram fails ill RMA it and take it from there. If the ram passes..... than is the only likely other cause the m/b??? Likely to be a sound card or tv card??? causing the memory test to fail?. i'm trying to avoid removing the gpu's since they are water cooled and the tv card sits between them.

It is sus how sticks 1 and 2 pass separately but together flunk... and all 6gig work fine together too lolz

Cheers Trent