1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays How to get a refund?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Judge Zetsumei, 17 Mar 2010.

1. Judge Zetsumei

Judge Zetsumei What's a Dremel?

*Bites tongue to avoid swearing excessively*

I have a Hyundai W240D monitor PVA panel.

Short story it's bust, I sent it in, it came back with the same problem, I sent it in again and a month later I get it back and the cheeky sods put a TN panel in it (looks like crap) and it still doesn't work (flickers, corrupts after some usage, overheating is my guess). Well I'm sick of it now.

I sent this monitor in January so a full refund for what I originally paid for is the least I will settle for now. Any tips on how I go about doing this? Anyone been in this situation and can offer some advice?

Feel like going postal...

2. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon What's a Dremel?

Yes i would say that the goods are not fit for purpose and quite rightly you deserve a full refund.

Typed letters these days work wonders, type a letter mentioning the problem/s you have had if you have recieved poor customer service also include this and ask them nicely for a complete refund.

Here is a helpfull site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/

Judge Zetsumei likes this.
  3. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Judge Zetsumei likes this.
  4. Judge Zetsumei

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to take it to Scan on Saturday and see what happens. I'm getting no where with Hyundai, their repair centre phones have been engaged all day :rolleyes:, their was no answer at the European HQ all day, I couldnt understand a word of the lady on the phone at the Korean HQ and the USA HQ tried to send the monitor to a repair centre in Chicago...:eyebrow: I clearly said I was from the UK many times.

5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Ditto the letters comment. I had a Sony SR series laptop that gave me no end of grief. after 3 attempts to repair (and about 10 hours on the phone reloading software recovery discs for every case because they would not let me go past that stage despite any assurance from me that I had already done it several times) I wrote a 2 pager & made a lot of noise about loyalty & repeat business (my house was like a Sony advert at the time) the customer services team arranged for me to have a brand spanking new unit, top of the range.

Sale of goods act applies to the retailer, by the way, not the manufacturer. Worth bearing that in mind. Scan have a specific set of t&cs, it's worth reading them in detail as you can use that against them.

6. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

when did you buy it?

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

:wallbash:

8. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

??

Saturday is tomorrow?

I asked when not where?

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

My mistake :blush:

10. Judge Zetsumei

It turns out scan can't replace it or give me a refund because even though it has a 3 years warranty, I bought it 2 years ago. However they did say they will try and help me out in getting it repaired but they can't promise anything. Last time I buy a Hyundai monitor, that's for sure.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Call up the manufacturer & get them to collect it & repair it. Most 3 year TFT warranties are swap out's

12. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

you can hassle scan, as you bought it from them not a manuf.

Key facts of the sale of goods act

As a monitor is expected to last more than 2 years you can request a repair, replacement, damages to value of repair or replacement or a partial refund (full refund where you have had no use - though hard to prove).

You can do this anytime within 6 years of purchase. however, some items are not expected to last 6 years, but this does not make them unsatisfactory.

Your rights under the sale of goods act are above and beyond those of a manufactures warranty - though more often than not you have to fight for them, and often via a small claims court.

The manufacture has no legal obligations (for reference: unless you bought direct from them), however harassing them for a new monitor will probably be easier than getting scan to give you a refund or replacement (unless you take them to the small claims courts).

13. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

He has done this twice already and isn't satisfied with the results. Hence shifting from being nice consumer to a consumer who will be using his rights!! :)

14. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Good post, Golygus. I was about to give similar advice, one other idea is contact Consumer Direct
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

In law Judge Zetsumei has a contract with Scan not the manufacturer. Scan must supply a full or partial refund. The latter would be decided in court.
    My opinion is that when a 3 year warranty is given then a failure within that period that could not be repaired to the user's satisfaction should result in a full refund. The circumstances relating to the repair would suggest the PVA panel was faulty due to a manufacturing defect and as such fully covered by the Sale of Goods Act and later amendments.