1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Act Now: The Digital Economy Bill Petition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 17 Mar 2010.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Email sent to Bob Neill MP.

Mandelson, the lizard, is unstoppable though. :(

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This will be a disaster if it goes through. Can this country get any more of a nanny state than it already is?

I don't have stolen goods coming through my my mail..but I'll be buggered if I'd let Royal Mail open all my post to check first. This is no different. It's against my rights. It's an invasion of privacy. And it won't stop piracy at all. Everyone will just use more encryption ect..

For those that are interested: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200910/ldbills/044/10044.i-iii.html

Last edited: 19 Mar 2010
  3. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

yeah I thought so too.

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Just got a letter in the post from Chris Huhne:

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Reply:

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

My girlfriend and I both just got identical, colour printed letters in the post. I was impressed that he'd reply at first, but then I noticed his letter was an obvious mail merge that included direct copy pasta from things other MPs have sent.

8. Lightning98

Lightning98 Umm, hello.

I don't really see how writing letters or petitions could change anything? There's too much money involved in this and well... its politics. When did politicians ever do what the people wanted them to do :D

But, eventually (if there isn't a zombie apocalypse in the meantime) i see most of countries in the world adopting a similar policy. Its simple mathematics, people who want the laws have money - politicians wants money.

And as for the part of the article that goes:
    "Don't misunderstand me (and bit-tech/CustomPC). Everyone in the office is totally against copyright infringement. I work daily alongside people who are affected by game piracy and we've had our own content pilfered by others in the past too."

I respect that, and don't want to discuss the subject of piracy, but while the situation in the UK/US is what it is, things are a bit different in other parts of the world... i have family scattered in a bunch of countries and most of them would look at you like you're crazy when you ask them if their programs are "originals"

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Any update on this? It was being read yesterday.

10. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I can't believe this bil was passed, I'm watching the debate now on the parliament website. Everyone in the debate agrees that this bill is to broad and isn't defined properly, they know it will have unindented consequence's but yet they still passed it.

Democracy in action i love it.

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I sent my MP an email, and got at least one other person at work to do it too.

12. CardJoe

Me too.

My MP, Rob Wilson of Reading, sent out two letters (identical) to interested consituents saying he would oppose the bill. He also tweeted to that effect.

And then, from what I've learned, he didn't even show up to the debate.

13. CardJoe

Tags: Add Tags