1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Will you be buying a GTX 480?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moyo2k, 27 Mar 2010.

?

Will you be buying the GTX480?

Poll closed 6 Apr 2010.
  1. Yes

4.2%
  2. Yes, if the future drivers boost the performance

4.7%
  3. No, it's too expensive/hot/power hungry

33.8%
  4. No, I've been waiting for Fermi and now I'll buy a 5870

21.1%
  5. No, I'll stick with my old card for a while yet

36.2%
  1. Mclusky

Mclusky What's a Dremel?

I wonder how many people held off from buying an ATI card until Fermi was released only to have their expectations dashed.

Holding out for new drivers to fix the problem seems no different to me.

2. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Actually, if my calculations are correct, for the price of a pair of 480s, you can buy a 5970 AND a real room heater :D

3. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

5970 is a also a room heater.

Question to everyone best price on a not interested in USD(US seem to get it £90 cheaper) and no prices without links all prices should include VAT.

HD5970

GTX480

HD5870

GTX470

Two things make or brake a graphics card speed isnt one of them it all come down to price time.
    Take the x2900xt a crap card not cause it was slow but it was late and expensive 8 months earlyer and it would have been the best card ever or £100 quid cheaper at launch and i doubt it would have had a single bad review. For me its all about where the card rolls into the market.

May the card with the most dedicated fan boys win.

Pricelover 5970 at £499.08

OCUK 5870 at £304.99

dabs 470 at £297.25

micomonline 480 at £336.41 Winner if this price hold up it looks the best to me.

To me this is a clear result if the sites get products in and the prices stay the same when they get stock. The 5970 is in no mans land at a massice £500. 470 against the 5870 tight and could be either way.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  4. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

Last edited: 2 Apr 2010
  5. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

You're right that price, the rest of the market and timing are crucial. However, the main issue here is thermal efficiency. Many of us guessed it would be bad after the 200 vs 4000 series. Anyone who's a performance nut and absolutely must have the fastest, well they'll buy whatever they want. For the rest of us, sacrificing a few frames a second for drastically reduced electricity consumption and a cooler (and consequently quieter) PC, is a bargain. Not to mention that for most games, all this power is redundant anyway.

As I said earlier, if you can still run most games on an 8800, why spend the money at all. ATi, did the right thing with the 5870. It's amply powerful, quiet, cool and at the limit of what most people will spend on a "top" GPU. It's a little expensive though, and when a 4870 will still satisfy most setups, it depends what your upgrading from.

This isn't about fanboys, this is about nVidia having a slightly faster and arguably more modern product, but 6mths too late, too expensive and too hot. Therefore, nVidia = fail.

6. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

I know it draws a lot of power but is the high temp really that bad.

My 8800gtx is a very hot card at lest 79 C under load at least.

x1900xt this one was a monster this could idle at over 49 and top out in the 80's (when i ran the self overclocker on it it was at three figure numbers before crashing out)

gtx280 is not exactly cool runing being a oc edtion i had to get new fan (triple fan) for it and load a side fan on my already high flow antec1200 doesnt get past 69 since the new cooler and is not loud at all.

They all still work even after years of service and abuce (x1900 the had an acident and a heat sink droped off)

It really doesnt matter that a card may only last 5 years and not 20.
    As long as it doenst die in the first 5 years all is good right i mean anyone getting a 480 is not going to stay there more than a year or two.

The fan noise would be a worry for me but as long as its not two unresonable & as above it dosent comit suicide i see no down side to a bit of heat.

Power draw and value are another issue that i would aproche more seriously.

GOOD find Jin 4870 £294.98 is now cheapest in the runing that has to give it the biggest market of the power cards. That put the 480 back to 14% behind in price

7. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

only problem is that its a powercolor. just hope it doesnt break.

im about to buy a vapor-x from OCuk - £329.99 which is awesome.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that powercolour looks like standard reference design, shouldn't be any problem :)

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

well, it may not matter to you, but speed matters to just about everyone else. it doesnt matter that fermi was late. tons of people waited. rumors had the price way higher than the actual launch price, people still waited. why? because it was going to be twice as fast (lol). dont kid urself...speed matters. it's just funny how after it launches and it's not fast, all of a sudden it's about cuda and tesselation...lol. the 2900 wasnt a fail because it was hot and late, though that contributed, it was a fail because it was handled by the 8800 gts...it didnt even come close to competing with the gtx, then you factor in the heat and all that and it just made it worse. you're price theories are somewhat right, but it would have needed to come in a decent penny less than that even...

um, yes...lol

fyi, since you seem new. sites put prices of items, especially items like this, at stupid low price points when there is no stock, so people like urself think that it may actually sell at that point once they get stock so you dont order from another site...then put it at their real price when it launches, which is more in line with what other sites have it at. it's cheap, but it works (right?).

10. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

except that ebuyer only ever put in-stock items on their site, ie if they run out of stock you wont find it on the site.

the GTX480s are an exception but you can see that they are only selling stock they have pre-ordered.

if you look at the powercolor card you will see that there are 19 available to buy right now.

11. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

Ok ok speed maters what i ment was as long as your in the ball park you can pitch to your level its in the pricing. I mean if it had of been twice as fast as a 5870 and been power efficent and cool running would you have got one if Nvidia pitched it at £2000 i certainly couldnt afford to blow my PC budget for next two or three years pc on just one part.

Six months is a long time in graphics card life cycle or do you think ATI were R&D went home after the 5000's launch.

??? x1900xt got to three figures the world didnt end my pc didnt catch fire it was a condtional statment though IF THE CARD CAN HANDLE THE HEAT & the fan is not to whiny then what is the problem raidiator's can be adjusted. (power thought is a concern what is the hidden cost how much more will it cost if i have it for a year and a half.)

I agree with out of stock items the price you see and the price you pay might be very different all i can say is gits orther comon ones are prices quoted without VAT on comparison web sites and some sites hide there delivery costs till your paractily at the putting your card details.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2010
  12. trig

trig god's little mistake

just to be clear, I was referring to the gtx 480 price, sorry for the confusion

not sure what you're arguing here? as far as the x1900xt, if it hit triple digits C, it would have fried, mine never got higher than 80-85 without crashing. sure fermi may be able to handle the heat, but the fan is very loud at high temps from the reviews that are out, so again, what are you arguing?

13. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

It really under performed from what I was looking for and I worry now that it is going to be a repeat of the fx series. The good news is I get to save my money for a few more years but the sad news is I guess I am stuck on the 200 series for now. (Yes I know I could always get an ATI card if I wanted more power but I just can not deal with their drivers, it is a personal issue)

14. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

bump :)

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

So on the results of this poll, a mighty 6.84% of people will buy Fermi and... 93.16% wont. Way to go nVidia!

16. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Technically it's 3% as I don't think the recent retest classifies as a huge improvement in performance

EDIT: The fanboys have been exposed :p

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yes, im an nVidia fanboy who have just bought an ATI card and is loving it.:eek:

18. moorebwb

moorebwb What's a Dremel?

No........have switched to Ati after all these years, and my one is watercooled, so i can be arsed do that type of change over for a couple frames lol!! so the 5870 will do me!!

19. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if you have an 4870 or 2 or an 5870 you most likely not see much improvement in games unless your messing with High AA or want DX11 (4xxx or gtx200 lower dx10),

i have an 9800GX2, and i want DX11 and moderate AA and TR aa as well, i could go down the ATI route but my last post stated my stance on ATI drivers (same goes for my friends who even own 4x and 5x ATI cards now)

20. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

Got a HD5850 and I am enjoying it A LOT and it works perfectly! What sort of driver problems should I be wary of? The last driver scare I heard about was some Nvidia card frying thing. Is it things like that?