1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors New car needed...

Discussion in 'General' started by ozstrike, 29 Mar 2010.

1. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Taken this away from the kitcar thread:
    I'm looking for a new car. I currently have a Seat Ibiza (56 plate) 1.4L with 100bhp.
    I want something with more space and a bit more power.

Current choices:
    Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Vector Sport (Either the saloon or the estate)
    Volvo V70
    Audi A4 (not really looked into these too much, they're at the top end of my price range...not sure what engines they have)
    Jag X-type (the 2.0 Diesel one)

I can't decide...insurance is going to be a pain but I think we can wangle it (somehow got a quote for 800 quid for the Saab).

Experiences? Thoughts?

2. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

There's a good owners club for the X-Type Mondeo over at www.fordmondeo.org.

I'm having the turbo replaced on my TDCI 130 today because the VNT mechanism on the turbo got clogged up, in part due to my driving, in part due to a sticky EGR. Its the same turbo as is fitted to many ford/vag/bmw/audi diesels with the same capacity so don't rule out a ford/jag because of this.

The chassis is great, its comfortable but handles well. The engine pulls well enough for motorway acceleration and safe A-road overtakes, but its not a quick car @ 9.6s to 60.

The Saab is a Vectra chassis with a Vauxhall Fiat engine, make of that what you will.

I'd have bought a V70 instead of the mondeo if I had more cash. I ruled them out before trying one on this basis.

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I don't think there's anything else of that size/engine size that I've missed? I've ruled out Mondeos and Focuses.

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

What is your budget, and why did you rule out the mondeo?

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

It's shared with my dad, and he can be a bit of a snob, so that's why the Fords/VWs have been ruled out (yes I know it's stupid)
    Budget is under 14k

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

This, The x-type is pointless unless you can get a top spec one, as nearly always the mondeo is better equipped for the same money.

The mondeo ST Tdci is worth a look is it not?

or what about a skoda octavia Vrs diesel?

8. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

You could pick up a reasonable 5 or 7 series for that cash, but the insurance might sting you at that age.

What about an Avensis?

9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

The X-type we're looking at is the sport one with the 17" alloys and satnav and leather interior. Looks pretty swish, only 30k on it too.

Argh too much choice, I'd be perfectly happy with a ford or a VW, but my dad is being picky :D

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The problem with the x-types is everybody knows that its just a mondeo, Im not saying they're bad or dont get one, but they dont hold the jag name anywhere near aswell as say and XK or XJ imo

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've got a Skoda Octavia VRS TDI170 which would easily be bought in that price range.

Its powerful, but its a turbo diesel so you'll get 45mpg, you got power, grip, and lots of toys inside too.

12. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Ever considered a Mazda? The 3 MPS is often compared favourably to the focus st. Not many about so a bit more exclusive

13. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The Mazda 6 would be a bit more in keeping with the class of cars in the rest of the list.

14. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Given the posts and reactions already here, I'd suggest Benz or BMW. A4 is just a Dub with a fancy badge and you're not gonna by a Skoda if Dubs are out. (Even though that's blatantly a very good idea value wise).

3 series, or C class.

15. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Given the Lake district as a location - have you got the use of something 4wd? If not I'd seriously consider an A4 quattro...B7 chassis are well within £14k

Can pick up the 1.8 petrols easily, or they do a nice range of TDi stuff (1.8 and 2.0 I believe are the lower end ones)

16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

We appear to be going for a 159 sportwagon. Oh god, what have I done.

17. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

You may regret that decision, Alfa's are the only car where the bonnet hinges wear out faster than the tyres :D

18. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I've been reading around, they don't seem as bad as they used to be at all. The engine is the same as in the Saab, too, so the issues are shared.

19. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Just looking at the Saab 9-3 sportwagon myself though looking at around 12k.

The 150Bhp engine has a couple of issue apparently, my dad has that engine in his 9-5 and he's generally pleased with it (we've just come back from the Lake District and he got 50.2mpg out of it.) Since the 9-3 weighs less you could improve on that. Oh and you'll never need awd up there unless you need a full on off roader, In which case an estate is wrong anyway.

The 120Bhp engine has fewer issues... but less power... more fuel efficiency... but less power... I get a little stuck on the power issue as I'm coming from a 260Bhp Aero.

I'd steer clear of the Mondeo as its... well there are just way too many of them on the road
    I looked at the Audi and in that price range was looking a good few years older.
    As for the Volvo, awesome if you go petrol (the 2.5 engine that everyone uses), but pretty much everything is going diesel and they don't really seem to have nailed it yet.

I guess I'm a bit bias. I like Saab, they are supremely comfy and just about powerful enough, its a bit like a BMW\Audi for people who like to think for themselves. Its also a hell of a lot cheaper since they don't match the Germans for power.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Alfa have poured massive amounts of funds into getting their cars to be more reliable, particularly electronics apparently. Anyway, 2.2 JTS or 1750 TBi are the pick of the bunch from what I've heard.