1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Recommend me a monitor please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thefunkyone, 7 Apr 2010.

1. thefunkyone

thefunkyone I Miss Vodka

Alrighty, I am considering getting a new monitor but don't really know what to go for.... I have noticed the Dell 22" 2209WA getting a lot of love here, But still unsure.....

My current monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 913b, which has lasted me a good 5 years, and I don't really have much gripes with it except the annoying bottom of the screen is slightly brighter than the top :(

Here are the key features I'm after...
    a 22" display, DVI & VGA inputs, 1680x1050 res, reasonable quality screen, good for games! :D

Gaming is my main concern (though i imagine coping for years on a 8ms screen anything modern will be decent enough), i also do a spot of 3D rendering so reasonable image quality would be nice too.

I don't want to go above 1680x1050 since I'm only running a Geforce 260 (SP216) since I imagine the card probably wont cope well at higher res.

Umm thanks in advance for any recommendations? ;)

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Dell 2209WA fits the bill perfectly.

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

+1

:thumb:

4. thefunkyone

thefunkyone I Miss Vodka

Thanks, i bit the bullet and ordered myself a 2209WA :( Ohh god i hate buyers remorse :wallbash:

Now i have another question, i was going to keep my current 19" monitor as a secondary monitor but i dont have the desk space for 2 monitors. My walls are plasterboard and i was chapping the walls to find a beam i could screw into to wall mount my old monitor and couldnt one.....

Anyone know if plasterboard can safely hold a 19" monitor ? :sigh:

Alternatively i could just sit a box on top of my pc case and sit the monitor on that, dont think it would be too steady though :|

5. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Anyone know if plasterboard can safely hold a 19" monitor ?

The word 'safely' is redundant in this sentence ...plasterboard alone can in no way support a 19" monitor!

6. Tuffnall

Tuffnall What's a Dremel?

Sorry to disagree but plasterboard WILL support a 19" monitor provided you use the right fixings and don't plan on using a mount that is mechanical (i.e. on an arm that pulls away from the wall. If it is mounting flat to the wall and being left there you can use worm drivers also known as scru driva fixings or plasterboard fixings.. Having said that there should be a batten every 600mm or so, I guess you have limited wall space if you can't find one?

7. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

I recongize the plasterboard can support a 19" monitor but you never put something else on it , and you have to be careful.