1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crysis 2 writer: "MW2's story was bad"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Apr 2010.

1. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with him.

The story wasn't very good. It did seem like it was tryingt very, very hard to imitate a Hollywood film but because it was trying to hard, it didn't make it. IMO anywaze.

Games like the MGS series were far better at conveying story than MW2 was, though slightly a different genre.

However, I did get hacked off with MW2 within about 30 mins of playing. I hate, hate, hate endlessly respawning baddies. The sense of accomplishment is hitting a checkpoint, not clearing a zone or using some smart sniping to clear a path - it was endless baddies respawning.

Playing in that Brazillian slums level - sheer and utter kak! The AI (while not great in most games) was appauling. The baddies would just run at you, around the corner in waves. And no matter how many you killed, more and more just kept coming. To me, there was no sense of hiding, duck & cover. It was like a typical Quake frag fest.

Instead, BFBC2 was much better. True, the AI wasnt necessarily any smarter, but there was teh concept of duck & cover and good firefights. MW2 just seemed like run in and frag away.

Sorry.. driffting from the orginal post.

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm not too sure that's the case, but I know there's definitely separate teams working on the single player and multiplayer (with the multiplayer being developed, rather unfortunately, by the same people who made Haze on the PS3).

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

When's the last time an FPS's story was a selling point?

I can really think of two series that have anything near a storyline worth even mentioning: Bioshock and Half Life.

Every COD had a story line that could be summarized (in most cases WAS summarized) in two pages max.
    MoH - it's WW2 - every history book has that summarized in a page.
    Far Cry? Random BS. Same with FC2.

Honestly, I personally don't give a hoot about storylines in FPS games. i play them because they feature the same entertainment I get out of Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, etc. Not because they have the intellectually challenging morality story a la Full Metal Jacket.

Really - the Statement that gets made there screams "Our game is sh**, but we have a storyline... " and "the only way we can compare favourably against MW2 is if we boast a storyline"... i.e. not particularly encouraging at worst, and a completely pointless c***show at best.

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

MW2's storyline is good. its just not connecting. at all.

the have-no-idea-whats-goin-on-but-this-is-intense kinda good.

5. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

the story wasn't bad, just not as good as MW1.

it felt rather disjointed in places and just didn't flow very well...... I mean, like what happened before "No Russian!"

You were just thrown in at the deep end with that level and with no precursor to what lead before, other than the spoken dialogue by shepherd on the loading screen. it was just below standard and it felt like there were levels or part of the whole story that was missing.

6. Lightning98

Lightning98 Umm, hello.

The only thing Crysis 1 had going for it was great graphics (which in book has been beaten by mods for HL2 and STALKER). The storyline was there, but it really didn't make any sense whatsoever.

As for MW2... i enjoyed the COD1,2... mainly because they had a normal SP... but these last few episodes mainly focus on MP which i'm not interested in so basically MW2 was a huge FAIL for me... not just story wise ... i mean what is there to call a "story" when i finished it in a little over 3-4 hours.

I don't have big expectation for Crysis 2, except the fact that we'll probably be benchmarking radeon's 7870 or GeForce 780 cards on it and still do @ about 30FPS.

7. johnniecache

johnniecache What's a Dremel?

This will be amazing forsure if he writes the game anything like he wrote Thirteen/Black Man, Takeshi Kovacs novels.

8. snowy2

snowy2 What's a Dremel?

Better still, CryTek should buy the game licence for the Takeshi Kovacs novels, and using the latest Cry engine and his script writing, create a futuristic deus-exy rpg where the player can be needle casted across the universe as a mercenary, choose a customisable biotech sleeve, fight with/against illegal clones of him/herself, remove cores as a mini game, get involved in a slow-burning political rebellion and play both sides etc.

9. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

Funnel enough money to marketing and a good PR team and they can sell any overrated crap. With all of the anticipation, it's bound to win many awards.

It sucks but its true...

10. snowy2

snowy2 What's a Dremel?

Heh so cynical ;) Don't blame the player, blame the game ;D

11. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

This is like 3 day old news, and it's the competition. What do you expect them to say?

12. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I didn't mind the MW2 story, right up until the missile somehow destroyed the space station after exploding somewhere in the atmosphere.. that was just.. retarded.

13. johnniecache

johnniecache What's a Dremel?

I woud buy it would the most epic game ever. Crysis 2 will be the first game I'll play for just the story . The only thing better would be to have William Gibson/Neal Stephenson/Joel Shepherd actually write Cyberpunk games stories too.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2010
  14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Regarding the storyline for MW2, the thing that bothered me the most was the idea that there could be a full scale invasion of mainland USA, complete with armour, helicoptor guships (the wrong ones I believe, I seem to recall the Mi 28 was dropped in favour of the Ka 50) and all the necessary supplies to support the invasion and they manage to surprise everyone just by blocking the satellite feeds.

I still enjoyed the game, it just didn't make a lick of sense other that in its own little world.

15. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

MW2 is full of Anti American sentiment. The story looks like it was written just to annoy them. When I started reading threads about the game before I bought it, loads of Americans were complaining about it. Having said that, they do have a habit of re-writing history in the war films so maybe this was someone's idea of a cheeky comeback.

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2010/03/25/anti-americanism-modern-warfare-2/

16. vegettoxp

vegettoxp What's a Dremel?

Well I don't agree with him. I would like to see How Crysis 2 is gona do in sales compared. He has nothing better to do then pick on MW2. Heck the news Maps they just release are doing hella good.

Richard Morgan Keep your Mouth Shut and Work on Crysis 2. Nobody not me don't need to here your BS about MW2. This is just my opinion. I am pretty sure some of you guys will disagree.

17. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

The story of MW2 was indeed terrible. I used to think the story of Crysis was bad, but at least it didn't confuse like MW2. I mean, one time you are fighting in some snowy mountains, the next time you are in some south american city and then in NY, and what was my name again? Soap or Price or that other dude?

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

The plot to Crysis was a throwback to the late 80's early 90's sci-fi monster B-films, a personal softspot for me and a few years before the time MW2 fans were born.

Go watch Deep Star Six, Fortress, Sphere, hell even Robocop was considered a B-film despite its suprising success, and the Crysis story will start to make sense and you'll realise just how good it actually is.

At the Crysis 2 NYC launch party, Richard Morgan was interviewed by giant bomb and asked how important a plot was in a game, as a writer and a gamer his respose was utter gold and absolutly spot on, by catering to the largest possible audience (to gain sales) you've also go to cater to the lowest common denominator as vegettoxp proved so wonderfully a few posts back, the interview was so spot on that I was actually applauding him by the end.

go watch it yourself over at giantbomb (I would post url but site is borked atm)

If you want an excellent cold war story then you owe it to yourself to play World In Conflict.

edit: after some digging he also thinks Halo is ******** both as a game and a story, If his opinion is also reflected by Crytek then omg we are in for a good game and i cant wait to watch the faces of "gamers" as they get a rude wake up call on just how bad thier "games" have been the past 10 years. :thumb:

19. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

In this case, Gunsmith may start crying.

20. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

I recongize the story was too Lengthy and have not Innovation, it even less than MW1.

Tags: Add Tags