1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia unifies mobile, desktop drivers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

This is good news. Partly because my new laptop has an Nvidia GPU and I'd like regular updates, and partly because I've had issues getting drivers for previous laptops. eg Tiny went bankrupt about a year after I bought my laptop, but ATi wouldn't let me download drivers for my Mobility Radeon 9600 from their site. They just kept saying it was the manufacturers responsibility. In the end I found I could download Omega drivers that worked, but I'd have preferred the latest ones from ATi

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This is where ATi fails miserably, specially when it's some sort of laptop GPU made specifically for a vendor, then there's no real updates for it. We have to use tools like Mobility Modder.

4. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Hell no, never had a good experience with OEM driver support, once they've got your money they couldn't care less

5. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

No - ATI also now offer the same monthly driver updates for Mobility Radeon HD cards. This announcement is nVidia playing catch up with ATI. Don't believe me? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Glad to hear that nVidia has made this move nonetheless though.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Very good news, lets hope they don't get it wrong and cook themselves. Tho with so many laptops out there I wonder why this hasn't happened sooner. After all surely laptop GPU's don't differ that much from their desktop siblings in terms of architecture.

7. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

REALLY wish the PhysX stuff was option download - waste of space... 140MB download for my drivers? Seriously.

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

With the laptop GPUs often being behind a generation but having the same name, that could get really confusing on the drivers site.

But this sounds great! Thankfully I no longer have to game on a laptop but when I did, the issues in getting drivers... I just gave up!

9. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Well that's good news too. Just a shame they didn't do that when I needed them to. To be fair it hasn't put me off buying mobile ATI GPU's, it just happened that the one I bought recently is Nvidia.

10. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

thumbs up nvidia (not often i say that about the evil green N), with this and optimus things are looking good now just get some directx 11 laptops out!

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Optimums laptop seems like the best kind of laptop currently out there :D

12. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I just hope they start making drivers for chrome os; With 85% of my usage on the web, (and using chrome), I could really get behind hardware makers taking responsibility for making sure customers get decent support for their hardware.

13. nia-desu

nia-desu goddess of the clocks

The specifics of Verde aren't clear at all. Could someone clarify this for me please.

Which driver revision does Verde start with? 19x.xx?
    Which chipsets are supported with Verde? 6, 7, 8, 9, 200, 300?

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the reason ati and nvidia didnt do drivers for oem was because oems wanted to provide drivers themselves, its not that they didnt want to, its that they were told not to.

often oems make changes to designs to make them non standard, so you have to go back to them for drivers etc.

as others have pointed out, this can mean delays, or even non issue of updated drivers.

it would be so much better if oems allowed the hardware makers to do the drivers.

15. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

ATi have been doing this for ages unless you has a vendor modified card.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

verde are [supposed to be] the 256.x ones... as for what card they [officially] support until they actually turn up we won't know...

17. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

its the OEMs not ATIs problem
    Catalyst 10.3 or later supports all Radeon HD graphics chips on both notebook and desktop, but now OEMs have to say we dont want to be included instead of saying we want to be included

some OEMs like Sony, Lenovo has way old drivers because they chose NOT to allow their customers to update, its has nothing to do with ATI as far as we customers are concerned

so now that ATI has basicly forced OEMs to allow customers to install latest drivers! unless the OEM say no

anyway its good that both ATI and NVIDIA starts to force OEMs to allow customers to update drivers, its pointless the way it was before, when we customers had to mod the freaking drivers that basicly just worked 100% fine anyway

Tags: Add Tags