1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Pay for sponsored worklogs?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DarthBeavis, 2 May 2010.

1. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

Another forum which will not be named has decided to charge about 70-80 bucks for EACH thread that is a sponsored build. What do you all think about this? Anyone ever heard of a site doing this? Do you think this will be a trend?

2. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

Wait..
    So if I were to put up a worklog on this site, and it got sponsored, I'd suddenly owe the site 70-80$?

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Simple. Start a project log there. Get a sponsor and move off the site. Silly reasoning to me unless they think you are advertising your sponsor, but isn't that why sponsors pick up modders? To get exposure for their products. Confusing to me.

4. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Is this overclock.net? I havent heard about this but in all honesty thats just asking to have your site blacklisted from the big logs. I know that I personally have made money off of flow but thats only if you don't factor in the massive amount of time I put into the build.

mvagusta likes this.
  5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Never heard of it , Their way of thinking is "you've got a bit of sponsorship which has saved you some money towards the build so we want it "..Now as far as I'm concerned this is an absolute load of crap.The people who are getting sponsored are doing so because they are dam good at modding and whats wrong with that. Now if i was in that position i would simply take my mod elsewhere and once every one does the same what are they left with...nothing, the site folds and they hav'nt so much shot themselves in the foot but blown 1 leg clean off. Now industry in general sponsors customisers form all walks of life, e.g car builders etc to show case their products and what can be done with them and if this site thinks they can get away with charging they are obviously deluded......LONG LIVE BIT-TECH

Right then, I've had my rant for the day i can go back to hugging trees

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I think you should name and shame them

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Absolutely ridiculous to me. That's a site that is in need of some good management if you ask me. I don't believe bit-tech would ever adopt that attitude. They are happy to support logs that have sponsors, the only thing that's required is that their name not be used in gaining said sponsorship, which is fair enough.

8. DarthBeavis

I don't roll that like. I also do not think this forum would or should tolerate such against another forum. Just wanted to get some feedback

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Can you pm me the forum that is doing this so I can make a point of NEVER visiting it.

10. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

I believe it's $70 PER Sponsor, so every sponsor you have you have to pay the forum $70.

11. DarthBeavis

Since we are talking specifics . . . I am not attacking this just up for discussion. they have a right to do it. either it will fail or succeed.
    [​IMG]

12. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

thought i entered the demote thread for a minute. i'd like to see the "net stats" once this has been implemented for a few months...

13. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

HAHAHAHA

not trying to hate but let me use myself as an example:

overclock.net Flow worklog thread views: 32,188

Bit-tech.net Flow worklog thread views: 77,037

Xtremesystems.org worklog thread views: 111,049

Nuff said eh? just think about the ad revenue from that... not to mention the site traffic attracted increasing the domain value - not trying to toot my own horn here ate all but where exactly does it cost the website any money at ALL to host my log?

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I wouldn't pay for a worklog but I can think of a couple I would like to pay, just to keep them in business. Donate is better word than pay.

john

15. DarthBeavis

I am all for donating to help a site I like stay in business

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

DB, I'm kinda looking at it like this.

If I get sponsored partway through a log, I may be hoping for that just so I can complete the build. If I suddenly had to pay an unexpected 70-80 dollars, that may just plain stop the build, or more likely would mean me moving my log offsite.

BTW, you know that you're always welcome at TBCS. We're not crazy there either.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Remember XS is also cooling and OC worklogs included, bit is almost uniformly design orientated pls :)

18. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I think it could be done, as long as the members are getting something for thier money.

Such as at the end of the year, an event is held somewhere to give out awards for all sorts of stuff like moty, chop of the year, pic of the year, etc. Or maybe just have nicer/more prizes sent out with all the monthly competitions, etc.

There are so many free forums out there, and this number is only going to increase, because the population is increasing, because everyone is having lots of sex.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

modding sex?

I'd like to point out that statistically over 99% of this forum is male. Unless science has progressed beyond what I've been taught, two men cant make a baby.

20. oneslowz28

oneslowz28 What's a Dremel?

As a member of the management of a large modding forum I can say that these forums cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars a month to several thousand just in server fees. I know of one large car forum where it cost over $4k a month just for their server which is almost too small to handle their needs.

With that said, charging members to post sponsored worklogs is complete BS. Often times it is the sponsored mods that get the most views because they are full of bight new shiny expensive things. They drive traffic to the site and the more traffic that is generated the more add revenue that cold be generated.

I look at it this way though... With them charging that just gives the rest of the sites out there more top notch modders who can post their worklog for free. My $.02 is that we will shortly see the site mentioned go under.