1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Wheely CPC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danlevi, 26 Apr 2010.

1. danlevi

danlevi What's a Dremel?

I'm just starting back into PC gaming having had consoles since my Amiga.

Seeking a wheel for Dirt2 I followed CPC's recommendation from the magazine in January 2010: Saitek R660 GT.
    Strangely I couldn't find one for sale online but found a recon'd one on ebay.

Great I thought, but now it appears it's not fully compatible with Dirt2, in that the force feedback doesn't work. (It is working in the Saitek config page.)

Further research now indicates that several wheels aren't compatible with Dirt2.

Is this kind of thing common amongst PC periphals? For example if I go and get the CPC recommended Thrustmaster F430 Wireless game pad and Pro Evo 2010 will I find out that XBox 360 controller works no problem but there are issues with my new pad?

I'm a bit miffed that the CPC is recommending obsolete kit. I know I should have perhaps research further but CPC would be considered experts in this regard.

Notwithstanding my problem with Dirt2, if I get a copy of GRID (as this was used with the review) will Force feedback etc work out of the box?

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Is the game up to date? And are the drivers for the wheel up to date?

You say the wheel is reconditioned. Have you tried another game to see if the Force Feedback works there? It could be that the FF doesn't work on your wheel period.

3. danlevi

danlevi What's a Dremel?

Hi, yeah game (via GFWL) and driver (via Saitek) uptodate.
    The FFB works in the game controller properties menu in control panel (windows 7 64bit).

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Try uninstalling then re-installing the drivers then. I've had a quick Google, and it appears no one else has your problems, but then again, I only looked for 5 mins.

5. danlevi

danlevi What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'd googled, not found anyone who says it's working yet. Found someone on the codemastesr forum who had same problem but he proteseted about a cryptic translated response and everyone else got all man united with him so that wasn't sorted.

i'd tried the saitek driver re-install with no joy, currently down-loading the dirt2 standalone patch as via GFWL took ages first time and I don't fancy doing this several times.

Any suggestions as to a demo game which i can download that has FFB?

Anyway my general query relates to gaming peripherals from smaller companies. If it's not MS or Logitech is it common to have compatiblity problems with games?

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

You could try something like rFactor, GTR, GRID, well, almost any racing game :/

I've got a Saitek flight stick, the website doesn't even know they make my joystick... Had some issues with it in BC2, it just turned right...always, and then corrected that, then turning was inverted.. and sorted that out.

7. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon What's a Dremel?

Oh, hia mars-bar-man .... next time your on the ZiiP ts or server i would like to know more on the flight stick :). Back on topic you could try and install the steering wheel first then install the game and see if it picks up the force feed back when the wheel and all the latest drivers are already installed.

8. danlevi

danlevi What's a Dremel?

I got it going now, sweet.

Downloaded GRID demo but FFB didn't work with that either.

I had to uninstall game and delete all registry references to Saitek R660. Then as recommended (thanks) re-install wheel then re-install Dirt2. FFB now works but I have to be logged on as an administrator. Hmmm, it may well have worked in the first place if I'd been using an admin account!

9. LordBen5000

LordBen5000 What's a Dremel?

I can't remember the last time CPC reviewed game controllers.... :S