1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How do you buy your PC games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Capulet, 9 May 2010.

1. October

October Mariachi Style

I plan on getting a stack of blank dvds and creating backups of all my Steam games. I'm gonna leave it in a cupboard just in case I ever need a reinstall :thumb:

I used to be more of a fan of boxart and manuals... Now the practicalities of a small room and lots of stuff are taking precedent :lol:

2. JamButty

JamButty Risking life and limb for Blighty!

I must be old fashioned as I still prefer a hardcopy! As long as it's the cheapest option though I'm not too fussed! Steam, Play.com, amazon and even the local supermarket....

3. Raptorex

Raptorex What's a Dremel?

Either from Steam or from a retailer like play or game

4. juststsomeguy26

juststsomeguy26 What's a Dremel?

Having a disk, and not needing it inserted to play is always the best imo. Provided they dont limit re-installs and such.
    Cant stand steam, and i dont like being forced to maintain a net connection to use software ive purchased.

5. ICISAZEL

ICISAZEL What's a Dremel?

Steam is the price is right but generally Amazon, Gameplay or Play..
    used to use Play-asia a lot for imported Nintendo DS games too

6. Oscar Mike

Oscar Mike What's a Dremel?

I'd say that Play or Amazon have the best price for games, but once I get it into my head that I want to buy one, I can't wait for delivery so just go out to the supermarkets to pick it up for a slight price premium... impatient I know.

7. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

always hunting for the cheapest, looks like online retailer always wins. lol

8. Tom30

Tom30 What's a Dremel?

I just get the cheapest usually amazon or play (steam on their offers or hard to find games), however, sometimes lovefilm has the best deal.

9. October

October Mariachi Style

You don't have to, Steam has an offline mode.

10. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I prefer to buy retail copy of disc so that I feel that I physically have something, rather than a virtual copy. Usually buy off amazon as usually cheaper than steam.

I then just find a crack to allow me to play without disc.

11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Steam.

However, I did buy Mass Effect 2 in a box. I wanted the physical extras/packaging that came with the collector's addition, but in retrospect, a Steam copy might have been more flexible. I wished that Valve allowed people to register purchased non-Valve games into their system — but that might just be a bad business move as people may use up Steam's bandwidth for games Valve never made any distribution costs off of from the initial purchase.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I buy all of mine retail, I like to actually own what I buy and smell the print. :)

Mind you I keep myself about 3-6 months behind on releases so I never pay more than 10-15 quid unless I tag new releases onto birthday/christmas lists (it helps my mum to still feel young buying her youngest games :)).

13. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

I buy retail from amazon.co.uk or play.com or from steam if they have deals on.

I definitely prefer having games on steam as it updates them all for you automatically if you can register the key and if you format your hdd, you can save your steam folder and then copy it back and all your games are still installed :D

Also...check out http://savygamer.co.uk/ - they post on there when there are any offers on games.

14. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I buy most of my games from Play.com or Amazon.co.uk. Now that I have a faster connection though I will start using Steam more. So far I've only bought one game on Steam but it was worth it because it was so convenient.

15. TCoZ

TCoZ Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

I buy games from gameplay.co.uk and amazon.co.uk but if it's cheaper/the same price I'll buy from steam as it's easier + more convenient.

16. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

I buy them wherever is cheapest, don't we all...

Although I would favour digital download through Steam, over Amazon or walking to the shop - it's just faster and you don't have to find space for another disc. If the prices were identical that is.

17. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i buy mostly through Steam for new stuff unless i can get it cheaper elsewhere
    Older games i buy from GOG.com (nothing wrong with some nostalgia)

For the PS3 though about 80% is from a store and 20% is through PSN

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So far all of my PS3 games have been preowned from Blockbuster, much better value and all have looked brand new.

19. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I always check those bins when ever i go to the video store however the ones in may area usually have crappy selection. On the plus side though Little Big Planet is now a greatest hit so it's only $30 CAD new and comes with teh bonus content :)

20. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

I still buy almost all my games from 'Game'. I tend to order them online as opposed to going into the shop and there's still something about taking the wrapping off the game that I love (sad I know).