1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 8800GTX good for Bad Company 2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keir, 15 May 2010.

1. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

Thought I'd add my 2 pence, BC2 runs flawless on my rig, the BETA was very smooth and optimized but now since we're seeing some good patches come from DICE in the last month or so, I'm not surprised, us with a dual core and an old card are able to play with relatibly good fps on decent settings.

I can play everything on high, 2xaa 4xaf (improved fps lol) @ 1680x1050 average 30fps

Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 3.2 Ghz * MSI P6N 680i * 4GB Corsair TWINX 6400C4DHX * 2x 250GB WD Caviar SE & 1x 150GB Raptor WD * 640MB XFX GeForce 8800GTS *
    Tagan 700W BZ PSU * Creative SB Audigy 4 * 7 64Bit HP * Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22"

2. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

I run with the below settings

[​IMG]

Not the best i know, but i like a good average FPS. My average is 78 over 5 mins. And my crappy tft won't go higher than 1440x900. Will swn have a new monitor tho :thumb:

My setup is in my sig.

I'm tempted to OC my 8800gtx to see if this gives much improvement.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

@ antonyand

id turn up the settings a little cause your probly running your monitor at 60hz so anything above 60FPS is pointless as the monitor doesnt display it.

antonyand likes this.
  4. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

ah cheers adam_bagpuss

I managed to up all settings to high with AA and AF on 2x

Running 59 fps average now

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Current rig in sig, used to be only 2GB of memory and used to have a 8800GT as well. That setup worked fine for BC2 on medium setting with just a splash of AA/AF. This on 1920x1080. Very playable, had some frames drop a bit when, say, a tank shell exploded in my face but was otherwise very playable. I expect you'd get a pretty similar experience.

Haven't been monitoring frames or anything, but I find it kind of strange that people are considering that it might be CPU limited. Dropping in my 5870 has allowed me to bump up to all high settings with more AA (think I'm comfortably at 4x right now) and have never seen frames drop to a level that I would notice a slowdown. You'd figure a mildly overclocked older CPU like mine would start showing its age by then right? Just going by my own experience the OP should be fine.

6. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Just a quick update I can play with everything on max @ 1920 x 1200 with squad based games, but on servers with loads of people it lags like crazy, so yeah it's just the crappy game engine raping the CPU.

7. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

Crappy game engine raping CPU? You sound like one of those people that are saying Crysis is a poorly coded game, instead of admitting the fact that the graphic cards are not keeping up with it. BFBC2 is one of the best game there is on using multi-cores CPU. Don't blame the game for not being able to running in smooth on your 5-6 years old CPU...try considering it is time for you to think about upgrading instead. Most people are using Core2Duo overclocked to 3.8-4.2GHz or Core2Quad for this game.

Last edited: 25 May 2010
  8. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

Dude, look in my documents, BCB2 folder and edit the config file, there are more options to edit which will greatly improve your performance.

Your system should be able to handle this game max tbh but give the above a whirl!

9. shaunboy

shaunboy Phenom II's are cool guys

I'm able to run B:BC2 at max with 4XAA on my GTS 250.

Although, I'm playing it at 1280 x 1024 and have a pretty decent CPU/RAM combo.

I think you may have to upgrade your other parts, as you have said.

10. Oscar Mike

Oscar Mike What's a Dremel?

I run BFBC2 on a 8800GTS, lowish settings, but as long as the server stays up I still have great fun and can see 90% of stuff out on the battlefield...so to answer your question - yes.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

My 8800GTS also cuts the mustard nicely - I run high-ish settings (it looks nice enough) and there's plenty of spare frames. It does help having a decent processor no doubt - I've noticed it in many games over the past 12 months or so.

12. BarryBear

BarryBear What's a Dremel?

Im running e6600 @ 3.15 with an 8800 on 1680*1050.
    I have to run everything on lowest which im not a fan but its still acceptable to play as i get over 60fps on dx9 (rather have over 60 and low gfx than 30 with higher gfx).

Friend with same pc but using an e8400 gets alot better performance so it is really cpu dependant.

13. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

This thread LOLs me very much. I love the imbalance of running an overclocked i5/i7 with an 8800GTX, or indeed contemplating a 5870/5850 sitting on top of an old dual-core Athlon :)

I had the 8800GTX on my old rig - bought with a QX6700 just when both had come out (and I happened to have some money to burn). It held up really well over time and then I SLI'd it and got some more time out of the rig. It ran hot as hell in SLI however, I had to take the side off the case and point a floor fan at it. I seem to remember that SLI'd GTX8800's performed almost the same as a single GTX260 or indeed would just about match a single 5770 in DX10.

We do tend to go overboard trying to keep our rigs top notch. I just cant' bring myself to set graphics at medium ... but really the playability isn't impacted by turning things down a bit.