Case Mod - In Progress Project Olias - SGI O2 Quad-core Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by donovan75, 27 Jan 2010.

1. donovan75

donovan75 What's a Dremel?

Hello,

This is my first posting on this forum. I was referred to this by Will of WillUDesign - maker of the famous OS Xbox Pro. I was also inspired by Project Oenone - of Mashie Design.

My idea is quite simple, get an O2 case, put in new hardware components and run modern operating systems (Win7/OSX/Linux) and software. Like the OS Xbox Pro, I'll be using the EFI-X dongle, so I can run each OS independent of the other. That means 3 hard drives for each OS, and a forth one for data.

This project is in it's initial planning stages, for I have yet to acquire an O2 case to start modding, and since this is my first modding project, I am in need of good advice and tips from more experienced modders.

I have made two screen-shots using Maya, to help visualize just how I will be able to put new modern PC hardware into this case. Here the are to help explain my idea:

[​IMG]

Front View

[​IMG]

Back View

I have sent these images to people who have already modded O2 cases, and got some good feedback. Originally, I was going to use a DFI SLI microatx board, but one of the comments was that I might run into heat issues by going that route. So, one graphic card should be efficient for my needs.

I am still in the midst of deciding the best compatible parts, but that's not for this forum! I am in need of help in choosing the PSU that won't take tons of space. Will mentioned that a picoPSU would be best, but I will be using a microatx motherboard, not a mini-itx board.

Also, I'd like to use the existing chassis if possible, to mount new hardware inside, and not rebuild a new chassis. Building a back frame would be also needed, for there all the hardware will be taken out.

If anyone can help and give advice, and help me avoid problems, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Be careful with that. The pico isn't meant to handle high powered GPUs. I'm guessing you are running at least a 5770?

As for running OSes seperately:

1. Install one drive.
    2. Install OS A on that drive.
    3. Disconnect drive and install HDD B.
    4. Install OS B on that.
    5. Repeat for all OSes.

That way, you can boot to any OS you want using the quick boot via the BIOS (usually F12). Imo, there really is no need to get the EFI-X , you can get a modded install DVD (PS: Just make sure you buy a copy also so most would not call it "pirated" )

3. donovan75

Shadow,

The only problem I can see with having a modded DVD install is future system updates. I have read online of how updates from apple can brake a system and make it "non-bootable". With EFI-X, all system updates are available, without worrying about patching, etc. I would like to have a "hassle" free setup, without having to deal without such problems and issues.

ps. Thanks for the installation tips! I'll be sure to use remember them when the time comes...

4. donovan75

Phase I of Project Olias has begun.

I am happy to announce that phase one of this project has begun with the purchase of an empty O2 case. Cost was fairly cheap. I had to pay a bit extra to ensure enhanced wrapping, so that the case would not be damaged during delivery. I read how fragile those O2 cases can be. I just wanted to play it safe!

Also, the idea of a web blog of this project came to mind. Anyone know of a good free blog sites? Blogger comes to mind by Google. Might try that. I want to document this project so that others can see and suggest tips, etc.

I'll let everyone know when the package arrives, and when the blog is up!

Thanks in advance!

5. donovan75

Oh, I'm not sure yet about the PSU to be used. That needs more research. Still trying to figure out what hardware I will be modding with. I was thinking I could go with a Core3 Quad, but then I read about the i7 and how it's hyper-threaded and how the C2Q is not. I'd like a lot of bandwidth on this box - hence i7. However, tested i7 boards that work with EFI-X are all ATX, no mATX yet. Give it time though, there will be.

6. donovan75

To those who might be interested, I have created a new blog for this project. You can find this blog online at:

http://project-olias.blogspot.com/

I will be documenting of the modding online here at this address. Once it arrives by mail, I will starting with some photos! :) I've also given a short background history too. Until then stay tuned!

7. Shadow703793

Good points, however I'v been running OSX on my test PC (E2180 @3.2Ghz on P35-DS3L) for a while and haven't had much problems.

8. Shadow703793

Post a Project log in the appropriate section.

9. donovan75

Shadow,

I am new to this forum and how it works. How would I do this? Thanks.

10. donovan75

Slideable Tray Concept

Phase 2 - Slide-able Tray Concept

Last night after much thought, I realized that if I need to access the hardware quickly and easily, I need a system that will also me to get access to the motherboard. Unfortunately, my order does not include any modular components, which would be very useful. So, I found online an image of the original o2 chassis, and drew up a possible solution.

The idea is to have an aluminum tray for the motherboard to mount on and have it attached to another tray by use of a bendable hinge. Kinda like the hinges used on a door, so that you can open and shut it regularly.

The slide-able tray component would have some kind of wheel/dolly system to make it possible to pull out the motherboard at will. Stoppers would be placed on two ends of the tray, to make sure that when it is pulled out, it can be laid down flat evenly.

I was also thinking of how the tray that the motherboard is mounted on will stay vertically when in the case. The ideal solution, would have it "snap" or lock in place when it is pushed in the case. However, the only problem with that I can see is to have it somehow "unlock/snap" it when pulling it out.

The reason why I would want something like this is so I can get access to the motherboard, if something goes wrong or if I need to repair, remove and upgrade hardware components. I have read up on previous mod builds of the O2, and noticed that when they were finished, access to the internal components was practically impossible, unless you removed the outer chassis, which makes getting inside, very annoying.

I have looked online and found that it is possible to order remove-able motherboard trays. I'd like to somehow find a microatx based one, without buying a who new case to go with it. Would this concept be possible to build? I have attached a quick mock-up sketch that shows how this idea might work. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks in advance.

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. donovan75

For those who are of interest to this project, this project is now longer called "Project Olias". It is now called : Oxygen Pro. Here is the website address for the new website :

http://sites.google.com/site/sgioxygenpro/

Hope you visit it soon!

Don J. Thorpe

12. donovan75

It's time for a follow-up on this case mod! :)

Over the past few months, I have been taken apart 2 PC cases using metal snipers, mainly to make a new chassis! I also have decided on a proper color scheme as well. Here is a mock-up of the future custom paint job I plan to do:

[​IMG]