1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anti-Virus for Home Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phalanx, 17 May 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent anti-virus package for Windows Home Server?

At the moment, the WHS I run has no anti-virus, while my main PC has AVG Professional which expires on May 2nd, 2011.

I'm looking for a free one at present, as I want to make my current licence on my PC run out before I purchase a 2-PC licence from ESET for NOD32 which covers WHS plus my gaming machine.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a free program for WHS until my AVG sub expires?

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not sure if it'll run on Home Server, but Microsoft Security Essentials has been good to me.

3. SouperAndy

SouperAndy To Bumble or not to Bumble?

I'm afraid WSE doesn't install on WHS.

I think there are some paid for AV scanners that work on WHS, but not sure on free ones. Does AVG free install?

I looked into this a few months ago when I built my own server, the common view in the WHS community is that AV isn't required?!

If you use the OS as designed, you shouldn't be actually executing exe files directly on the server... It's purely a file share / backup solution.

The only supported method of interacting with the server is via the Connector software, Remote Desktop sessions shouldn't be used for anything other than very specific issues.

Thanks,

SouperAndy :worried:

4. Phalanx

double post.

Last edited: 17 May 2010
  5. Phalanx

Hmmm, well I've just been handed a link to a very interesting conversation on the WHS discussion group where many people state that due to the security level of the server (ie. literally NOTHING runs without someone clicking something!), once you set it up, you simply never need to run AV due to nothing running without you interacting with it, and at that stage, anything you HAVE given access to the internet for is only going to allow those specific items.

This is coming from MS aswell, so I'm actually quite impressed they're stating this on their own product.

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I use WHS ClamAV.

Works a charm & it's free.

7. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  8. mac007

mac007 What's a Dremel?

For internet security would change anything for my Kaspersky - have been renewing the license year on year - it doesn't use much PC resource, updates are quick and it user friendly straight forward. No problems with gaming either. Totally customizable.

9. songzila

songzila What's a Dremel?

for server try microsoft forefront security..

10. harrylimey

harrylimey What's a Dremel?

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Ok, I'd like to say two things. If this really is just a file server, proactive protection and that sort of thing shouldn't be necessary, because you won't be opening yourself up to infection in the same way. You want a virus scanner that you can just set to run at 3am when you aren't using it, which will just make sure that none of the files you've put in are infected in any way. Personally, I'd recommend Kaspersky for that task, it does have the bells and whistles but they can easily be disabled.

What might be more important to you is that you have a good firewall, so no outside computers can access it without a fight. Personally, I don't know of any really good ones, I run my server in a DMZ so I don't have the same problems.

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Avira Antivir is a good free one. Much better than the AVG you have on your main system currently.

13. seanbean

seanbean Certa Cito

We use NOD 32 at work. Absolutely no problems and good customer service.

14. songzila

songzila What's a Dremel?

agree with seanbean.. NOD 32 rocks