1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Lose connection when in game!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by geoboy333, 8 Jun 2010.

1. geoboy333

geoboy333 Not always completely useless

Hi All

I'm having a really annoying issue at the moment. When I'm browsing and checking e-mails etc. my internet connection is fine, but when I boot up COD4 mp, CSS, BF2 etc. as soon as i join a game my ping hits the roof as in 1000+ and i lose connection with the server. I honestly don't know whats wrong with it.

This happens every time and i have tried everything i can think of:

1. check firewall
    2. forward ports
    3. reinstall games
    4. turn off firewall
    5. restart modem and router
    6. speed check
    7. Bit torrent isn't on

And i just can't get it to work.

This is very inconvenient as i just purchased a new mouse and was hoping to wear it in with a bit of CSS.

HELP ME!!!

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

what ISP you with as that sounds like traffic shaping/management to me and they give your packets a lower priority which result sin a super ping and time outs.

3. geoboy333

Virgin Media. we pay for the 10MB but we only get 4mb. The upstream and downstream seems fine though.

4. olimorgan

olimorgan What's a Dremel?

Have you done any downloading that day and what time you playing. Virgin throttle our connection like mad during peak times or if you've downloaded more than a gig that day

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Can you connect your PC directly to the modem, missing out your router?

6. geoboy333

@olimorgan Now you mention it i was downloading red faction that day (see my post on it in the gaming section) but it was 880MB not 1gb. I know about virgins throttling (had it done seriously badly in the past) but my connection has improved over the past six months so was surprised to not be able to join any servers at all. and have downloaded larger files in the past with less trouble.

@CapnPedro easy to say, harder to do. I'm connected through my Belkin N wireless router. I am using both ethernet and WAN for the connection so its rock solid between my PC and the router so i think this probably is something to do with virgin.

7. capnPedro

When you say using both, do you mean a bonded connection (Ethernet and your WLAN) from your PC to router? If so, try disabling the wireless portion so you're connected only through Ethernet.

8. geoboy333

i've got a ethernet homeplug that goes into my router downstairs and I've also got the wireless dongle that came with the router connected to my computer. They both connect to the same network (mine).

9. geoboy333

Also if this helps anyone, when i play cod4 and this happens the top bar of the lagometer goes completely yellow and then it says connection interuppted waits a bit and then says server connection timed out.

I'm not downloading today and yet this is still happening!

10. capnPedro

Try using just one connection at once.

11. geoboy333

have done, doesn't work any better. I also found out what completely yellow top bar of lagometer means. It means server stalled - stops player action. I dont understand what has happened, one day it was working fine and the next boom nothing. If you guys cant help me i'm gonna ring virgin but any clues are appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far.

12. geoboy333

Hold that thought guys, i just looked at firewall and the one thing i changed recently was i allowed some ports TCP and UDP to try and help my Far Cry work online (irrelevant please don't help with this). seeing as it didn't help with far cry i unchecked them and i was astonished. It isn't written in stone yet so don't close the thread but COD4 didn't lose connection. I'm going to try my other games and see if its worked but touch wood i think i've got it. Can anyone explain to me why this would have any effect?

13. capnPedro

Multiple games need the same ports, maybe?

14. geoboy333

I'm sorry to say that it hasn't worked although it takes longer for the game to time out. Instead of instantly timing out, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes of gaming before disconnecting. This is in all my games BF2, CSS an COD4 and they all act the same way. Opening the ports just prolonged the timing out. Don't know what to do:mad:

15. geoboy333

I have also observed that when ever a game times out i can't get internet pages to load quickly, often taking 2-3 f5 presses in order for them to load so i think i will ring virgin and ask the WTF is going on. The bill payer of my house hold (not me) has been meaning to leave virgin for a while anyway but changing to a BT line has put her off as it costs alot of money. This might sway her though. We'll see.

Thankyou for your assistance and i'll let you know if anything else happens.

16. geoboy333

I knew this wasnt the last i'd said on this thread. I am sorry to say that it is something between my computer and the router as my mums laptop works fine and so does my sisters, not flaky at all. Any tips?