1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Stuck in ADSL dark ages a bit longer..

Discussion in 'General' started by Prae, 15 Jun 2010.

1. Prae

Prae What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Im currently in an area where adsl2+ has not yet been enabled. But when i search on samknows it says:

Wholesale Broadband Connect should be available in your area from March 31st 2010
    http://www.samknows.com/old/broadband/checker2.php?p=21cn

I moved to the area before Christmas and have been waiting for this to be enabled, in the meantime i've been using a more expensive provider as they offer a 1 month contract. But now i dont know what do to. Is this common? should i just forget about it and go with a cheaper 8mb service if i can get it, or is there anyone i can contact to see whats going on?

My local exchange is Stourport (west midlands) If anyone can give me some advice / info that would be great.

Thanks

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Can you not go with an 8mb provider and then upgrade with said provider should ADSL2 ever arrive? That is the only thought I have. But if you are wanting to move to LLU services, most of the good LLU ISPs have awful non-LLU service, so you will have to be careful. O2 case in point.

It took years of petitioning and lobbying to get BT to give us straight ADSL back where my parents live. Total nightmare, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

3. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I just got put onto a Be/O2 LLU at my exchange. It's almost like having proper internet. Youtube now actually streams... in real terms my download speed is now six times faster.

Unfortunately, the engineer who did it managed to cross my line with a neighbour's, taking out both our phone and internet services last Thursday. This Monday I still had no internet, no phone, and no one at BT seemed to be able to work out what was going on.

In a deep state of internet deprivation I emailed the CEO of BT on Monday. My email was replied to within five minutes. Problem got solved within two hours. Makes you wonder what they were doing for the other 90 odd hours.

Actually I do know, because I got about five follow-up calls from the chairman's office. :eyebrow:

So if you ever reach an impasse at BT, get emailing Ian Livingston. Damn.

4. CatMangler

CatMangler Waiting for Heroe's of Stalingrad..

Don't hold your breath, like you my exchange was "supposed" to be upgraded by March this year and as yet nothing. Even more confusing the dates for the exchange work that were published have been removed, so anyone's guess really

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

My exchange is adsl2+ enabled and i still cant get any decent provider!! so even when yours is enabled dont assume it'll make a difference.

The state of our BB where i live is the only thing that makes me want to move.

6. Prae

Prae What's a Dremel?

:( as a feared, but thanks for the info. So does anyone have a recommended 8mb provider? ideally somone who dosent throttle sites like rapidshare?

7. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

I need a adsl provider just moved to belper and its not been upgraded. I want BT like I want a Hole in the head.

Any suggestions?

I think I can get sky and they are pretty good.