1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 XBox 360 Failure?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by M7ck, 18 Jun 2010.

1. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I have just tried to play my XBox 360 for the first time in a few weeks but I think it is broke.

When I first turned it on the dashboard came up but the picture was all screwey and the colours were all out, very rainbowey. I restarted my console and now nothing happens. It starts and it shows that controllers are connected but nothing at all on screen. All cables are fine as I plugged in my daughters 360 to check.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem could be?

2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Have you had a look at the connections at the back of your xbox it could have come loose or check the back of your tv to see the connections arnt loose there

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I have tried the connections and the ones in the tv are fine as the other xbox is hooked up just now.

4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

5. Hex

Any pointless comments attempting to turn this thread into another of the billion anti-console arguments is gonna get deleted I'm afraid.

M7ck has an issue and has asked for advice. Let's keep it civil.

6. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I had exactly the same problem a few week ago. After searching the internet I came across a method for fixing it.
    I had tried taking it apart etc, re-applying thermal paste etc and nothing had worked. I had nothing to lose so i tried the following:

Take out all of the leads except for the power lead. Wrap the X-Box up in a thick towel or two to block all of the vents. Turn it on and leave it. After a while it will overheat, shutdown and give you two red rings.
    Remove the power lead and let it cool down for half an hour or so. After that, plug it all back in and give it a try.

Not saying that this will fix it for you, but I couldn't believe it when it fixed mine.

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

If its still in warrenty, take it back.

8. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'd just get it replaced if its in warranty. If it isn't, then is the time to start messing around with the myriad of solutions there are out there.

9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Pretty much exactly what happened to mine when it died: was playing CoD4, colours suddenly went all green and purple, restarted, sound and connected controllers but no video.

Would be a dead GPU I'm afraid, either take it back to where you bought it or get started with this: https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-gb&scrx=1

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

11. Hex

Normally 7-10 days. It's pretty quick. You should get the same 360 back as well if it's the gpu, I did.

12. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Yup same here, same case and presumably DVD drive, they just swapped the mainboard. Mine was away for about 14 days back in autumn 2008, been fine since.

13. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Its out of warranty, when I said how much i meant in ££££££££££££££££££££££££

14. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

Depends on what's wrong with it, can't give a definitive answer cause sometimes its replacing parts connected to the motherboard, or just one part that's melted on the motherboard, or the entire motherboard. Or something completely different.

15. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

They wanted to charge me £70 for a RROD before they found their way onto Watchdog and then started doing it for free. I doubt it'll be much more than that.