1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Crysis 2 concerns

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by scq, 26 Jun 2010.

1. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I just thought I'd share a few concerns. It has got so much going for it. I mean, it certainly isn't the top game on my radar, but I can't say many games have got me as excited as Crysis 2 — mostly because of the setting. Sure, urban combat has been done over and over again, but NYC? Awesome! The City 17 levels were my favourite in Half-Life 2, so more combat in cities — awesome.

There is also so much potential to explore issues beyond gameplay. I think a lot of emotional content can be packed into an urban struggle. An alien invasion in a city like New York would obviously bring out some human element. Just think back to any disaster in a major urban centre and the altruism, kindness, and loss experienced there.

The trailer, with Polly Scattergood's harrowing and cynical rendition of that classic number, "New York, New York" in that cinematic trailer certainly helped to bring the point home that Crysis 2 could be a game about tragedy and survival.

However, that's where my optimism ends. If Crysis 1 reminded me of anything, it was repetition, repetition, and repetition — while rendering my respectable computer into a whimpering pile of overheated slag. The game mechanic was alright — I did enjoy sneaking around with the cloak on and sniping people off one by one — but other than that, it was terribly generic.

I don't know, I just don't have any confidence in Crytek when it comes to anything other than producing a competent albeit banal shooter with state of the art visuals. It may partially be contributed to a sense of arrogance I get from them — that Crysis will be so amazing, anything they make will be an instant hit.

What do you think?

pimonserry likes this.
  2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I've seen loads of games with brilliant art and design but the gameplay just doesnt agree with me, so ive either learnt to play it as intended or leave it as not everygame can cater to everyone. best advice would be to ignore it, no really. the second the hype machine bites its game over.

As for gameplay mechanics, it takes a creative mind to get the most out of the original and im hoping for more of the same in C2.

3. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Fair point there. Ive been sucking up the promo material like a hoover but 2 things keep bothering me: 1) we've only ever seen the xbox version in gameplay videos. Seems a bit fishy. 2) we've only seen 1 level.

Where are the ps3 vids? I dont even own one but i'd like to see something of its version. I heard the pc version is still being pimped up so not seeing its videos is understandable, but still...
    Oh, and ther central station level is gonna be a bit of a time waste when I get the game, seeing as ive already seen the biggest, best, bombastic moments:rolleyes:

Also Im kinda struggling to see how the pc version will have drastically better graphics. I can kinda see how but the setting will make things tricky to scale up in terms of fidelity. My only guess is that the highest settings will have many more objects, much much higher res. textures (even in the grainy vids on youtube you can notice the texture skimping), smoke and fog effects that don't dissappear after 5 whole seconds, and a much higher level of destructability with damage decals better and much longer lasting. Thats aside from having higher resolutions available and antialising.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

FYI all the "xbox" footage from e3 was actually a PC running at failbox settings, guess they couldnt optimise it in time ;)

5. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

really? share your source pls!

6. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

The graphics are the least of my concerns. if an Xbox could run it like that, my desktop should be able to churn out something presentable. The problem with Crytek is they put so much time and energy into making the greatest looking game ever, they forget to make a great game and it just ends up being mediocrity dressed up in the latest visual fidelity.

7. Daydream85

Daydream85 What's a Dremel?

haha thats good if true. Where did you see this?

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I remember reading it over at incrysis.com but im trying to avoid going there these days. the less i know the less i can be dissapointed.

9. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Really, even the prompts to press the x button?

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a lot of games these days will change prompts depending on your control scheme.

11. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Crysis 1 did that, as it was 360 controller ready, but it certainly wasn't a 360 game...

12. 00parrys

00parrys What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to it. I think that there are a lot of opportunities for this game to fail, but at the same time there are a lot for it to excel. I think Crytek has learnt from the first Crysis and I think this will be better. I also reckon that they will have had to learn from high selling games, like Modern Warfare, that there is more to a game than graphics. If you remember, Modern Warfare 1 and Crysis 1 came out around the same time, so surely now they will be asking why the former was more successful.

13. Slizza

Fully expect this to be a let down in comparison to the awesome crysis and warhead games.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

agreed. but then what ive seen so far has been some retard consolecock playing with a failpad.

15. 00parrys

Really? Why? Just because it's on consoles? At least it may be better optimised (but then again, it may not...)

16. Slizza

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its not the engine thats the problem, its the gameplay, the original required a degree of imagniation to experiment with the tools that you had, now they are pushing it to a stupid console audience who dont know thier arses from thier elbows when it comes to gaming.

18. 00parrys

@Slizza: Agreed that it is stupid. However, Crytek cannot be penalised as the first to do such stupid things (although that doesn't necessarily make it acceptable) .

@Gunsmith: Totally agree with the imagination part. Maybe I am just blindly optimistic, probably because I enjoyed the first one and warhead so much. I guess pushing it to the console market will by default mean that it also has to be a more mainstream design. However, I doubt that they will trash the principles they had in the first game (and a half). I think they have the opportunity to merge the two ideals (mainstream and unique) somewhere in the middle, which would make for a good game. Then again, I was really looking forward to the seemingly ground breaking Far Cry 2, and that turned out a bit, well, meh.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im more concerned about them boxing in the environment, it doesnt exacly give you room to experiment, still not liking the merging of speed & strength together.

again need to get my hands on it before i cast judgement

20. 00parrys

Yeah, I guess the city landscape could really limit you. The verticality could be interesting, if they pull it off in conjunction with a "sandbox" play area.

You guys are worrying me now :p