1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling P5Q-E with Gelid Tranquillo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaggyman, 16 Jul 2010.

1. jaggyman

jaggyman What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm looking to make a few changes to my setup to try and make things a bit quieter. Currently I use an Asus P5Q-E motherboard E8500 processor at stock speed in a CoolerMaster 690 case with the chassis fans that came with the case and the standard Intel CPU cooler. I'm considering replacing the chassis fans on the case with Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 fans and replacing the CPU cooler with a Gelid Tranquillo.

The only thing tabout the Gelid Tranquillo is that I'm wondering if the heatpipes of the P5Q-E will get in the way of installing the large tower on the Tranquillo. I can't find any documentation to say what the clearance height is between the base of the tower and the start of the fins.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting this CPU cooler on a P5Q-E fit?

2. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

The clearance appears to be 37.8mm? Image from the product page on the Gellid site:
    [​IMG]

3. jaggyman

Thanks, somehow managed to miss that image even though it comes up as the first link on google :duh:

37-38 mm looks pretty tight for the P5Q-E, measured the heatpipes and they came to roughly the same height so it looks like it may be really close fit.

As a possible alternative I found a video of a cooler which definitely fits - the Xigmatek 1283 on a P5Q Deluxe board and assuming the Deluxe uses more or less the same heat pipe design as the E edition. May go with the revised Dark Knight version of this cooler as it has the bolt through kit rather than push pins.

4. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

jaggyman,

I've had a P5Q-E and a P5Q-premium. Titan Fenrir fits no problem and if your system is not overclocked then it will barely spin faster than tickover and you just won't hear it.

I also had a Xigmatech S1283 on the P5Q-E and it was awful, I must have got a bad one with a poor contact or something.

If I were you I would fit the fenrir, bin the standard fan and install a 120mm silent eagle fan to the CPU cooler. You'll end up with whisper quiet top of the line cooling.

5. jaggyman

Thanks for the advice but I decided to take a chance and had gone and bought the Tranquillo by the time you had replied.

Pleased to say that it just fits on a P5Q-E (fan retention clips are lying right on top of the P5Q-E northbridge heatsink). with the fan/cooler orientated to blow air out to the rear case fan.