1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphical glitches, flickering and freezing.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ImInTheZoneBaby, 22 Jul 2010.

1. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

Recently I have been having troubles with my machine at home.

A few days ago I had came across some flickering when browsing the internet. White strips, at least a pixel high flickering across the screen. It also came with some dimming and brightening.

The issue started getting progressively worse as I used the PC. The flickering was more constant, and it even started to effect me during games and other programs.

Eventually it got to the point where it would crash the screen on some webpages, and seriously lag the computer. The screen would change to white, to a "negative" backwards colour screen, and then eventually fade to black. I could stop it from doing this however, just by switching off that specific webpage that triggered it in the first place. Everything would go back to normal in a pinch. Until of course, I entered the same website or any other that I recieved flickering on.

I then filed for a GPU replacement, in which I was told I would be waiting 45 to 60 days. (as BFG do not deal with graphics cards anymore, but still do replacements) so instead I purchased a brand new GPU from scan.co.uk

Once installed this very morning, there were no signs of flickering or graphical glitches. Until, a few moments ago. Where it stuck my PC once again.

So, I ask you. Where could this problem originate from? It can be triggered from the internet, games and even Windows 7. I have replaced the GPU, to no use. I also have a new PSU installed. (it happened before and after the installation, so it could not be the cause)

Thanks in advance.

NOTE: I have also switched my RAM. Taken one out, and the problem persisted. Put it back in, and took the other out and again the problem still occured. I am at a loss. :(

I have also reformatted, incase it was some stupid software issue. The problem still occurs.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2010
  2. Spongeblunt

Spongeblunt Captain of Your Face

You may have a serious RAM corruption issue (run Memtest from a Ubuntu disc/USB to check this but make sure you create it on another computer to avoid corruption of the image).

Otherwise it could be a Power Supply issue (difficult to verify without a multimeter and some experience or some rather expensive equipment) or a motherboard issue.

Your best bet would be to log your temperatures (CPU/NB/SB) using something like Everest while idle then while on full load (Prime95x64 or Orthos) and post the results here.

3. ImInTheZoneBaby

I suppose it could be my RAM. I have switched them, but it could be that both sticks are buggered.

I'm not sure about it being my PSU. I did have the problem with two PSU's. One that I only installed in my computer two days ago. Coolermaster 650W GX. The problems persisted before and after installing this PSU.

I have also reformatted, incase it was some stupid software issue. The problem still occurs.

4. c0rnzey

c0rnzey What's a Dremel?

I had a similar issue with screen flickering.

I RMA'd my Graphics card and got a replacement however the issue still remained.

I ran Memtest and got errors when I had 4 sticks in all 4 slots, however when I ran them on their own or in pairs, I received no errors.

It could be a mobo issue as mine was tested as faulty by SCAN and it now in the process of being returned to ASUS.

Hope this helps.

5. ImInTheZoneBaby

Does SCAN.co.uk do hardware testing then? And if so, for what price?
    I find that alot of errors, its hard to find out properly whats wrong.

I'll run a memtest when I get home. Thanks alot, i'll post whatever outcome I get. :)

6. c0rnzey

c0rnzey What's a Dremel?

I don't think they do general hardware testing. They only tested mine as this was where I bought my components from.

If your memory is not faulty then I would try and get the motherboard tested and if it's still it warranty possibly get it RMA'd.

Hope this helps