1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases What cases will take a 3x120mm radiator?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robert69, 23 Jul 2010.

1. robert69

robert69 What's a Dremel?

I've finished my P182 buildup with an integral 3x single radiator. I'm going to have to take it apart for some further work and am thinking of just buying a new case. My question is, what cases out there are setup to readily take a long 3x single radiator with 3 120mm fans attached?

I prefer Antec but at this point the thing I need is easy integration of a the radiator and fans.

Thanks,

Robert

2. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

From memory, the coolermaster atsc840, Cosmos S, Corsair Obsidian 800D and 700D, and the Lian Li P80 can take one in the front.

3. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

The Coolermaster HAFX takes it too. I am using hte Corsair 800D right now and it is brilliant.

4. robert69

I visited a store tonight. The D800 is butt-ugly. I didn't look at it's uglier little brother the 700. The HAFX is retty nice. Dus would be a major problem given how open and unfiltered the case is,but I still like it.

I also looked at the new Antec Dark Fleet boxes. The bigger one would be nice for air cooling but is too small for water cooling. Overall it didn't strike me as having the usual high quality Antec design either, at least compared to the P182.

I'm still on the hunt and very much appreciate the suggestions so far.

wtf, my post vanished?

I looked at some boxes tonight. The D800 fails the taste test for me. It's horribly ugly. But I'm still looking at the other suggestions. Your responses are much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Jul 2010
  5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

New users have their posts added to a moderation queue until they reach a certain post count. Before then it's invisible to anyone but mods. If you post and it disappears again, don't worry, it can take us a bit of time to get around to reviewing posts, especially overnight in the UK.

6. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Interestingly I have a HAF 932 for the longest of times until I got the 800D. I find brushed aluminum much more appealing than plastic. The 800D has a more simple look with a flat front panel much like any Lian-Li cases. Though I can see why you would think the HAF X is better with the more rugged and aggressive tank like look.

I prefer the 800D for the large acrylic side window, it is nice for showing off water cooling while the HAF X has a large fan in the way which is practically useless when you are doing water.

The HAF X probably has the best value of all the cases. A more affordable price and you get all the best features.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My Cosmos S will happily accommodate that size radiator in the roof.

8. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Most full towers could probably handle a triple rad in the roof easy if you cut some fan holes. Everyone else has covered most of the other options, but MountainMods makes specialized water cooling cases that can handle any combination of radiators inside a single case up to a quad in the roof and a triple in the front. A lot of Lian-Li full towers also can be fitted with top panels from Lian-Li which already have three 120mm fan holes spaced for most radiators except Thermochill, but if you didn't like the 800D and do like the HAF series then I'm guessing Lian-Li isn't quite what you're after.

9. robert69

My apologies. I had an old account but the forum would not let me reset the password so I created this new account.

I've been reading up and to my surprise I'm liking the CM atsc840 a lot. I guess it's because I'm a form follows function kind of guy. I think it's going to be that, or a HAF or a HAF X. I actually like the look of the latter two more, but I have birds, and the dust problem with more open cases would be maddening. I may have to mode my optical drive to make a solid alum. front plate to match the 840 case.

10. robert69

Today I got a black coolermaster atsc840. I transferred the cooling loop, radiator, fans, and mobo to the new box w/out draining the system (much). Quite a bit of swearing was involved. I've now got the machine up and running. Phase 2 is to order water blocks for the NB, SB, and mosfets. That will finally take care of my over heating.

A a couple problems I have to resolve. First, the instructions for mounting the 3.5" bay unit are completely wrong. I didn't get any parts to make it work, and the way the manual shows it is simply not possible. Second, the overall fit and finish is a bit so-so when trying to get the side panels on.

11. robert69

update: the online .pdf man page for the case shows what my printed one does not: there ARE 3.5" install brackets required, and my case didn't come with them. I've emailed Cooler Master requestiong them.

Next up, buy mosfet and chipset blocks, install, flush and refill system. Then...OOOOOVERCLOCK! :)