1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Case cooling...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThirtyQuidKid, 8 Jul 2010.

1. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Hi all,

New to this forum so be gentle on my first post.........

I have recently been converted back to a PC after using a laptop for the past couple of years so I have been out of the game for a long time.

I have made myself a mew I5-750 PC using a Elite 335 case but i am getting internal case temps of about 40C. I am assuming I need to get better air flow but I am wondering about fan config. I have the stock coolermaster fan on the exhaust as well as the PSU going out and have a 80mm silent eagle 2000 blowing in over the two hard drives.

What is the best air flow config that is QUIET as this is in the living room.....

The rest of the setup includes a GTS 250 with the zalman silent H/S, two Hard drives and the I5 has CNSP 10X with a silent fan installed....

I was thinking of modding the case for a 140/160mm top exhaust but as I have only just built it I would prefer not to.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Do you have a front intake fan in the case?

You mention the 80mm Silent Eagle, where is this mounted?

Also, can you post your CPU and GPU temps? These will differ from the case temp.

3. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Thanks Fingers66.

The 80mm fan is front mounted blowing air in over the Hard disks. I have a CPU temp of 22-24C idle and 36-40C load. The GPU sits at 36-38C idle and 54-56C under load.

I should add that ambient temp is between 20-25C this time of year.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

With those temperatures, the 40 C temperature clearly isn't the air temperature inside the case. Those temps are great, no need to do anything about it.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

+1 on this. Those temps are fine. What software is telling you that the case temp is 40c?

If you want to quieten it down a lot, replace the 120mm rear fan and the 80mm front fan with either 120mm Silent Eagle 1000rpm fans or 120mm Gentle Typhoon 1450 rpm fans.

Bigger fans spin slower and quieter but push the same if not more air than smaller & faster fans.

6. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Thanks guys.

I'll have to double check. I got that temp from the Bios and the software that comes with the gigabyte mobo. I will have to double check but I think the bios reports as PCH?? temp but I thought that was the south bridge chip but I remember that being at 25C. I'll get the info direct from the bios later and confirm.....

The main reporting software was the EasyTune 6 under the HW monitoring tab.

7. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

OK here goes

Got the temps direct from the bios....

As a standard setup they are CPU 26C, PCH 39C, System 40C

I overclocked it to 3.1 and they are CPU 41C, PCH 40C, System 42C

These were taken tonight with an ambient room temp of 25C

I thought the System sensor may have been buggered but I could see the temp rise from 25-40C after start up. I am not sure where the sensor is on the board but would assume it may be covered by a component and therefore giving an in accurate reading.....

Thoughts on this please......

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

What m/b is it?

9. BiotecVirus

BiotecVirus Everything should use Torx Screws

Still seems fine at thoose temps. You have nothing to worry about.

10. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

The board is Gigabyte GA-P55-UDR Rev 1.0. It has the F7 Bios at the moment.

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

My server is in that very same case, and so long as you fit a front fan, cooling is very good. Your temps are fine. As others have pointed out, that system temp is obviously not internal air temp, so motherboard temps of around 40C are absolutely fine.

12. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

most mobo sensors seem to be placed near warm northbridges or VRMs, giving off false readings.

40c is pretty normal nowadays anyway and shouldn't pose a problem. heck, i get mobo ambient temps close to 50c and my PC doesn't have an issue with it. but then i do have a radiator dumping heat into my case, so that point is moot

+1 to this, changing the fans to those models will help improve things.

13. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Thanks for all the replys.

Will look at the larger fans as sugested and see what happens.

14. Foxymike99

Foxymike99 Green Machine :)

Hey Thirtyquidkid, your temps seem fine. As far as your system temps, it could be a hot spot caused by cables disrupting airflow to temp sensor. I know before i rebuilt my old rig the sys temps were high, but after sleeving an tucking away cables my temps dropped alot. I don't know how good your cable management is in your PC but it may be a possible cause.

As for air flow if you have a front fan then get that sucking in air from bottom and a rear fan blowing out air near to top of rear case. Ive tested many configurations but i found an equal amount of fans sucking air in and out is best, but experiment and see wot works for you. :)

15. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

I will admit my cabling is not as good as it should be but I am planning to tidy it up when the new fans turn up. I will see how the temps look after that....