1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster And you people thought PSU Mods were dangerous!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Der Me!$ter, 1 Dec 2002.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

heh
    when i was in elementary school i was sent to sit in the hall for being bad
    i had a paperclip in my pocket and i decided to play with it untill the teacher came to talk to me, straightening the paperclip and looking across the hall to see that it would fit perfectly into the special 240V socket, i decided to give it a shot
    put one end in one part, the other in the other part
    bam
    the plastic coating of the paperclip instantly melted and blew across the hall along with the paperclip causing the lights to dim in the school for a few days
    my punishment was then upgraded to sitting in the office to wait on the principal
    but i must admit watching the sparks fly was pretty cool
    haha:clap:

2. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

3. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

I zapped myself with 440 volts once. I was working on my new DIY amp and i was connecting my Ring Coiled Transformer. And Current of 440 Volts went through my arm. I thought I was in Texas on the chair heheheheh

4. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

4000volts as well with my ccfl inverter
    dropped me straight to the floor for a few secs

5. bigniall

bigniall What's a Dremel?

The closest I've come to getting injured with Electricity was when the guy working on the bench next to me hit the 25Kv of a Large TV set. Lets just say that the involuntary reflex action caused the screwdriver that he had in his hand at the time to miss my eye by about half an inch and bury itself in my nose!

I don't think he's been quite the same since either!

6. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Ah the joys of turning a female ended kettle plug into a male ended kettle plug to fry a motherboard for a "faulty goods" replacement... just make sure it's not plugged in at the time... :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: burnt my finger and threw me across the room.

7. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I wired the plug on an old TV backwards once (not in my house), and expected some serious explosions but instead all I got was a loud whooshing from the speaker :sigh:

8. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

CCFL's work at voltages between 200 and 800VAC. If you can get it to strike an arc at 4.4mm then I'll be very impressed.

9. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

True, 4000 V does seem a little high...:eyebrow:

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

when i was about 5 or so my parents has these lovely candle type light things that they brought out at chrismas and i remember takin the bulbs out and sticking my fingers in cos it felt kinda cool and tingly tickly.

until my mum came into the room and saw me doing it and put the lights away for them to never surface again and presumably shout at me for some time

and i used to have a mate with a vcr that the proper buttons came off of and had to use a paperclip to press them, which was painful at teh best of times

and i was helping my parents redocorate the house once and the plastic plate was off from a light switch and i just thought, hmm i wonder what will happen if.... i destroyed my dads leatherman and has a twitchy arm for a few hours

electricity and i get along great... really

11. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

i feel really deprived, ive bin messin with electric stuff all my life and neva got a shock, :waah: :waah:

Last edited: 1 Jan 2003
  12. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

i do believe its more like 4000~6000VAC, ive got numerous inverters around my house and all of them have printed on the circuit board 4000 or 6000VAC, which is "High-Voltage"
    in which case inverters wouldnt be marked as that if they were 200V

and i dont understand what u mean by strikeing an arc
    i had my arm resting on the top of the case and holding one end of the ccfl and the other hand holding the other end
    not quite sure its been a while

13. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Hmm this thread has turned into a mass of people explaining their brushes with death because of electricity :D

Better hope this doesn't go any further... we don't want them to ban electricity! No computers!!! :jawdrop:

14. arsenala13

arsenala13 What's a Dremel?

lessee.... :naughty:

My brother and I, both being raised on a farm, have climbed (unsuccesfully) electric fences.....

I used to do model trains, but I got in the habit of derailing them and then stick my fingers on the tracks (this was in high school)

and, on an unrelated note, I have launched rockets in the house and also ihad one shoot towards me after my dear drunken father helped me put some gunpowder grains in another one for an adde 'boost'

....and I walked away.....:clap:

15. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Only neon tubes work from 4000 volts upwards. CCFL's work at no higher than 800 volts.

16. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Adam's refrence to LPH is Litres Per Hour, he was pointing out the irony that his PSU has water pumping through it but in the end it was his hub that gave him the well loved "Zzaaaaaaap!"

17. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender What's a Dremel?

My ghetto CC blacklight circuit zaps a nice lil burn hole into me if I touch the bottom.

18. [X]ander[T]orx

[X]ander[T]orx What's a Dremel?

Normaly it is suppose to have a protection between the circuit and the box of the power supply. But on the one that I open there wasn't. It's an old AT power supply.

[​IMG]

And it's open like this:

[​IMG]

But when I open it for the first time it was juste been unplug from the power. The cover of the box manage to touch the circuit. I took several shock and coudn't release the box for about 3 second. Now the power supply have several black spot on it as you can see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The moral is. When you want to play in your power supply leave it unplug for several minute before open it

19. [X]ander[T]orx

20. [X]ander[T]orx

Well it's evident that i'm not familiar with forum
    the rigth url is: zap