1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News G.Skill squeezes 2GHz out of in 49GB of memory

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jul 2010.

1. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

Someone says "anal" and you quickly say thanks to him. If next time I say "fuks", would you say the same to me? :)

Well back on topic, to be honest, this is the first time I've seen Bit-Tech do such a mistake as to say that a 49,152 MB memory as a "49 GB" because we all know when they said that it's 49,152 MB, they're referring to the IEC binary units, not the SI unit. I know you probably wants to point out their manufacturer's mistake but I'd say that it's pointless and it just make more peoples got confused. I think a news should be made to clarify something, not to add more confusion like this one. I for one, knows that the first comment here would be a comment about the wrong conversion, even before I clicked the page! I just knew.... ^ ^ d

And as for G.Skill's achievement, I don't think it's that surprising because it's just more hand-picked memory being slabbed together and I'd say most of the other memory companies would probably have done it too if they're being serious. Oh and because I don't need memory that big, yet! ;-)

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and now install norton on your 512MB PC with windows Vista on it ;)

3. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Please do what he said and post screens and benchmark results

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

The difference being that you clearly have taken it as a sexual reference. Did you see any posts before mine that made any reference to back door shenanigans? Have you never heard it being used as someone being really anal about something, over zealous or too thorough? So now you understand that I meant the other kind and not the "Hey, take a deep breath and lets experiment!" kind.

5. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Bit-tech you have your answer! A while ago you asked what we'd like to see to make your memory reviews more interesting/viewing well now you have it! Buy an 8GiB kit of whatever ram and call it 8.1GB :D

Never thought I'd see so many posts in a RAM article :p

6. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Is this a counter argument to memory-reviews? Because clearly the article - despite its massiveness - was quite boring and everyone steared off-topic as per the very ...ahm... mature and serious comments

7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm saying that bit-tech asked what they could do to make the memory reviews more interesting and what we'd like to see in them because memory reviews are generally very boring and RAM doesn't have a big impact on life in terms of speed with DDR3 now so I'm saying they'd get more people reading the RAM reviews if they stated that an 8GiB kit was a 8.1GB kit because everyone would complain that they're counting wrong ^_^

8. Chocobollz

Well, first, forgive me if I take it wrong as English isn't my primary language but when I first seen your post, I see you saying others being "anal" out of nowhere. I did read the posts before yours and I haven't found anything "anal" in it, they're just stating the obvious, to avoid confusion, that's it. Because if they're not, next time we could have some ads saying, "The biggest DDR3 mem ever! Check out our 9 GB* memory modules!" with a fine print below it saying "9 GB = 8,192 MB". Would you like another cases of tricks like those used by harddrive manufacturers? ;-)

9. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Okay, 48GiB (12 * 4GiB sticks) = 51,539,607,552 Bytes, which in Hard-Drive Marketing Speak is 52GB ('cause you know they all round up as well)

Computers have always counted their capacity in MiB or GiB (Calling it MB or GB, 'cause the programmers never thought someone would screw around with what a unit is), but HDD manufacturers have always counted in "Million Bytes", followed by "Billion Bytes", and calling that "MB" and "GB". Early on, people never noticed, as the minor losses were attributed to "Formatting overhead", but when drives started getting into the multi-gig range, and the losses were growing exponentially (Rather than linearly as you would expect), people started to raise a stink, and the HDD manufacturers were asked what the hell they were playing at.

They explained it was nothing they hadn't been doing before, and left it there. All the programmers went "A GB is a GB is a GB, is 1024 MB, or 1,073,741,824 Bytes, and that is that", and left it there also, and the statisticians and mathematicians went apesh!t and declared "Someone has to be wrong, and as we're comfortable with SI units being in factors of base 10 numbers, real GBs lose and should be called something else, probably GiB, for Giga(Binary)Bytes". Of course, Giga(Binary)Bites is still wrong as a description, 'cause BIN 1000000000, as any programmer will tell you, is DEC 512.

Of course, the programmers have the last laugh, as they still measure everything in GB (2^30), rather than GB (10*9), as you can see in Windows 7 if you check out the filesize of any file. So, in essence, that 1.5TB drive you just bought is actually 1.36TB.

10. shadysam

shadysam What's a Dremel?

incredible ...
    32M PI calculating takes only 17min. not bad

11. Chocobollz

OMG is that a unit to measure how many bite(s) does an insect did? (j/k :p)

Other than that, I wholly agree :)

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I spy, with my little eye, a parcel with 'around' 49GB of Ram not ending up at its intended destination :)

13. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Isn't 48 GB?
    Muahahahaha I like this vicious circle

I think the parcel will say "Polished Turd", that's refering to customer obviously

14. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

On the X58 chipset, does filling all 6 ram slots affect the overclocking of the system, I ask as 6x2gb sticks are cheaper (and more overclockable) than 3x4gb sticks.

Tags: Add Tags