1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft defends Kinect pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2010.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Wow people here want this to fail! Personally I'm looking forward to it and see 130 as a reasonable price point.

If I was an Xbox owner I'd never end up playing a Kinect game on my own and to have all my mates on it with minimal tech hassle and a low entry cost (PS Move = 60 per person...) makes this look like a good deal.

And besides...people might be bitching about Kinect's price point but at least people are talking about it. No one is really talking about the Move.

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I did buy the GH world Tour pack for single player, I love playing the Drums & Guitar on it (not at the same time obviously) and the GH:WT pack was the best option for getting both. But saying that, it was on offer at the time I bought it.

I like the idea of the Kinect as an Interface for controlling the xbox UI, but that seems a bit of a waste considering the only game I like the look of on it at the momment is the keep fit one (if only for the Tai Chi training).

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yes, GH:WT is possibly a bad example, as the whole package DOES actually offer replayability to the game, which the Kinect seem unlikely to do at this point.

The point is though, that this is (IMHO) targeted at the social multiplayer market more than the guy that does real serious gaming. As such, 130 Quid seems a reasonable price point. ESPECIALLY considering the price point of the competitive products.

As for whether or not it's actually gonna be worth it, that would depend entirely on what games are going to support it, and how.
    No doubt there'll be a "flail like an idiot fitness" "game" soon after launch.
    I have no doubt that some other games will support it in way cooler ways though. I can see it in boxing games, something like a dance-dance-revolution type of effect, a snowboarding/skating game, and a bucnh of others. It's got potential (for social gaming), but admittedly not that much for serious gaming. I doubt that it's gonna make playing Forza 3 the best experience you can have while dressed.

4. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Ooooh, a WW2 fighter plane game, where you hold your arms out like wings and run around the room like you once did as a child :D

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd imagine an update could probably cure this.

6. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

yes overall it works cheaper for 6 people, if only one person if playing for it. But like guitar hero (or the Wii) most people buy it for use in single player, then take over a controller to thier friends for multiplayer, which isn't really possible with the kinect (unless you are happy to shell out money to only have it some of the time)

7. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

LOL That's exactly my thought too. And for a 1st time buyer, I would rather try it out first, buy 1 or 2 of the controller, then if it's good (and really add much to the experience) then *maybe* I would add another one. And like another posters have already said, why would I buy something designed for 6 people if I rarely (if not never!) will use it.

Oh and I hope someday you can use it in Street Fighter. just imagine how much fun would you get when you're doing those "flying spinning kick" like Ken/Chun Li does! (especially Chun Li! :D)

Tags: Add Tags