1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Questions: Getting inputs using switches/buttons...via parallel port or other....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DRR104, 17 Jan 2003.

1. DRR104

DRR104 What's a Dremel?

OK, I'm making a MP3 box sort of thing... its going to be just a m/b, hdd and sound card.
    I want some buttons for stop, play, shutdown etc... My first idea was to use the parallel port, but i can only work out how to turn LEDs on/off using it. Does anyone know how to get inputs from it using buttons/switches?

Or has anyone got a better idea of getting inputs like that? w/o using a keyboard...

Ta,
    -DRR104

btw... I'm using VB6

2. linear

linear Minimodder

There are several devices that allow you to use the keybaod interface, but accept switches that you can map to keypresses.

http://www.inclusivetlc.com/catalog/technology/inclusive_swbox.shtml
    http://www.donjohnston.com/catalog/switchpro.htm

Are a couple, I'm sure if you look around there are cheaper or DIY alternatives. I'd work hard to make keyboard input (from switches) work, because you don't really have any options with the parallel port that don't involve writing software to handle it. I believe I read about someone salvaging the keybard interface chip out of a 10 dollar keybaod and using that, let me see if I can recover that URL.

3. DRR104

DRR104 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that but i think they're a bit out of my price range... which is around £0 :D

Also the main reason i dont want to use a keyboard is that the port is right up against the case, can't really get to it... :(

As for the parallel port... i can write the software using Visual Basic, as i said i only know how to turn on LEDs.
    What i really need is to know who to wire buttons to the parallel port...

Ta ne way,
    -DRR104

4. linear

linear Minimodder

5. bmph8ter

bmph8ter What's a Dremel?

6. DRR104

DRR104 What's a Dremel?

ah thats a good idea..... now to find out how to do it in VB...