1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Help, HS hard to install mobo bending

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mod-ern man, 5 Aug 2010.

1. mod-ern man

mod-ern man What's a Dremel?

Hello, I need some learned opinions & can't think of a better place to go. I have a Zotac NForce 630i-ITX mobo (socket 775), a P4 SL7PU 3 Ghz/1m/800 cpu and an Intel HS/fan combo p/n E30307-001.
    The problem is, when installing the HS to the mobo I have to force very hard to get the clips seated. Once done the mobo is actually bent a little. :miffed:
    I'm worried that the HS may not be properly seated and the bending may cause other problems.

What do you all think??? Any one seen this before?

Thanks

2. J05H11E

J05H11E Fujitsu Technical Analyst

I've never seen this before but i wouldn't feel comfortable leaving that HS on the mobo if it is bowed...

sorry I'm not much help :(

3. Timlander

Timlander Simm Saver

Having that much force is not a good thing at all. I would not leave it on. The traces on the motherboard are liable to start having bad connections if that is left on. I honestly dont know why the stock intel heatsink would be like that to put on, did you check the mount and backplate to make sure it is all installed correctly?

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I see a certain amount of bending with most non-backplate coolers. How much is it bent? Can you post a picture?

5. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Pentium 4?

The HS on this CPU are the ones with pushpins right?.. I remember having one!

Be sure you are making the right procedure to push the HS on the MOBO, also like badders said, post some pics of the mobo to see how much its bent

6. mod-ern man

So I went out today & bought another Intel HS (the one on the right). Thinking the arms might give it a little more flexibility so it would not bend the mobo.

[​IMG]

But it didn't work. The mobo is still bent as you can see from the photo. remember this is an ITX mobo, so that 1/4 inch of deflection is over a span of 6.5 inches (see the right side curving down from the straightedge on the right side of the board). I guess the problem must be caused by a non-Intel mobo???

[​IMG]

So rather than spending more money, I may try bending the arms on the HS. Or, maybe I will rummage around in the parts bin. I believe I have a couple of Swiftech 462 HSs from which I can steal the hold down screws & springs & then fab a backing plate.

Cheers

Last edited: 6 Aug 2010
  7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

You may find that most of the bending will disappear when the motherboard is installed into a case and properly screwed down.
    TBH, most of my motherboards have bent like this if push-pin HSF's are used. I don't normally worry now.

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

^ this.

Try installing the m/b into the case then installing the h/s & fan. You may find that the m/b being screwed down negates the bending. It happens with kit I have as well.

9. mod-ern man

Thanks, I could see that working with a full ATX mobo, but this is an ITX board and the 4 mounting holes are very close to the 4 corners of the board, so that would have no effect. If I put some spacers under the mobo to force it flat, I would be concerned with the corners cracking.

I've already removed the push pins from one of the HSs. Let you know what I can come up with.

By the way, this is a mobo I got from e**y for $18.00 with some bent pins. So, until I can see if it will even boot, I'm not spending another penny for now.

Cheers

10. mod-ern man

I was able to fix the bending problem with a little Bit-Tech ingenuity. A couple of plexi scraps, a tap, some old HS mounting bolts and we're away.

[​IMG]

Now the problem is she won't boot up, no reaction at all. How many Intel cpus had this flimsy contact system?

Thanks for all the help.:clap:

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

all 775 boards suffered this due to intel's horrid push pin design.

I have a gigabyte P35 board with is permanently bent now due to this. I would however be surprised if this is what has caused the boot problem.

Sure your not shorting anything?

12. mod-ern man

When you say shorting do you mean in my HS bodge. Since the bolts thread into plexiglass on the back of the board, the only place for a possible short is where they pass though the board. Is that possible?

13. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

make sure you have the four pin power cable connected to your MOBO (happen to one guy in another thread :p)

check if the RAM its making good contact