1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Ati 5970 Possible Shader Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrhrk01, 10 Aug 2010.

1. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

Hi All

I downloaded & installed the MSI After burner program to try to set a higher fan speed for my 5970 graphics card. After installing the program, I clicked through a few buttons, and restarted my PC, but no results turns out because the fan speed meter was greyed out in the application hence It would not set it.

Anyway, so I uninstalled MSI After burner, thinking oh well never mind that did not work. I than went to play Unreal Tournament 3, and it seems MSI after burner has changed something just not sure what. The game plays fine however it seems details such as weapons, background etc are not as detailed as they should be(I have checked the settings within the game and they are the same). I am 100% it should not look like that, but I am not sure of what has happened. :worried:

I have created a screen shot of a program that measures the details of the graphics card and CPU etc: Direct Link is:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/118/sysinfo.png

Can some one please explain to me that part about ''Shaders" and why it says 800, according to amd specifications there are 3200 shaders for the 5970 model ?

Am i right in thinking I have accidentally disabled 75% of the shaders ? :eeek: or is it something simpler and more obvious which I can not see ?

Is there a way I can restore my settings to the default setting for the graphics card ?

EDIT:-I think there is a way in the Catalyst Control Center to restore the default settings, maybe I should do this ?

Thank you

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ah an app might have changed the quality settings.. there's a lot you can tweak out but since you have the big dog- there's no point

the quick fix is to uninstall/reinstall the graphic driver.. should be easy to narrow down which app is doing it

3. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

If I remember, altering the fan speeds required editing the bios of the card. It could be a case of the bios being altered resulting in a loss of shader cores, so you might have to flash the card with the original bios.

4. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, so if I have to flash the bios, how do I do this ?

5. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Judging from your screenshot it should read 1600 shaders for both GPU 0 and GPU 1 adding up to the full 3200, the screenshot leads us to believe that half of your shader for each card have been disabled or 50% overall.

Possibly attempting to reinstall your Graphics drivers would fix the issue here, I don't see how afterburner is going to modify your BIOS to disable parts of the card.

6. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for replying.

I think I will try to reinstall the graphic drivers first, and see if that fixes the issue if not I guess I had better find a guide on how to flash the bios on the 5970 ...

7. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Woah woah woah... no need to flash the bios - that program seems to be the issue.
    GPU-Z reports 1600 Unifed on my 5970, but 800 in HWinfo.
    Chasing ghosts there, matey.

8. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

Hi

That is exactly what I was looking at just now.

EDIT: After playing unreal tournament 3 again, I have realised that I think I was being very paranoid, due to after burner. I will continue to monitor the situation over the next couple of days and see where I go from there

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010