1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Water Cooling Question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by desiredefx, 9 Aug 2010.

1. desiredefx

desiredefx What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone, I planned my first post to be a halfway through of my first build. So far I have most of the materials and a rough sketch of what I want to do, however I need to figure out sizes for water cooling reservoir, what volume of liquid should they typically hold? Thats pretty much the only question I have at this point, Thanks.

As a side note, I haven't figured out sketchup, and I doubt I ever will, so I doubt anyone will ever see a planning model of it :)

2. asura

asura jack of all trades

Reservoir size is unimportant, many people use a T-line to fill/drain their loops, so what ever you want to go for is fine; unless you plan on using a large thermal mass of water, in which case I'd say go for a 100l tank as a starter. Silliness aside, 5.25" bay reservoir, and tubular reservoir's seem to be the choice at the moment, though DB came up with a beaut!

Whatever reservoir you go for, the fuller the better would be my answer, to reduce fluid disturbance, and the chance of drawing air into your pump and thereby damaging it.

3. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

What rads are you incorporating in your system, and how many loops?

4. L4nce0

L4nce0 Hmm what was that breaking sound..

I'm running a T loop with literally no reservoir. It's cooling just a qx6700 overclocked from 2.6 to 3.4. It's not a lot of heat.. like if you had a lot of GPUs and a OCed CPU, then that's different. Though don't waste your time on reservoir too much. Had one leak on a HDD once. Wasn't fun, no damage, but just another thing to leak. I'd put more though into heating cores.

The reservoir.. well your system will be pushing out so much liquid unless it's a giant tank it wont have that much time to cool off before getting pulled through the loop again. Think how long it takes to cool a pot of boiling water. Now remove it's ability to evaporate. See? wait how is it cooling? Well it is heating up the sides of the reservoir and the ambient air is cooling that. So it's like trying to cool with plastic insulation. Doesn't do much at all.

5. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

That's the radiators job. :p

6. L4nce0

... that was my point?
    Hints
    I'm running a T loop with literally no reservoir.
    don't waste your time on reservoir
    it wont have that much time to cool
    wait how is it cooling?
    it's like trying to cool with plastic insulation.

7. desiredefx

desiredefx What's a Dremel?

Im running 3 loops each with a 3x120mm radiator, I have something else in plan for the 5.25in bays and I have a great idea for the reservoirs thats why I want to make them in the first place, not really for functionality, but more for design.

8. L4nce0

Yes! Do remember that LQ is honestly more for looks then much else ;) My new case will have an oversize resovor for that reason.