Electronics Which Dremel?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by joavery, 14 Aug 2010.

1. joavery

joavery Huh. So it CAN burn...

So I'm gearing up for my first real mod, and investing in a Dremel.

Keep in mind I'll be doing a Mod maybe once every three years, so I don't need top of the line.

Searching netted me a bunch of *really* old guides, just wondering if people still use the 300 line or if they've moved on.

2. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Hi!

Here in Spain you can buy the series 200,300,400 and 4000. The last one is the top of the line, so discarted.

I've been using the 300 one for a long time, I recommend you that one with the Flexi Shaft.

Hope you find this usefull ^^

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

What you need is a Rotozip with a flexshaft & a home-made dimmer switch outlet box.
    Dremels burn out too easy.

4. joavery

First Real Mod

Both sound like quite a bit more than I need.

Flexi Shaft?

Dimmer Switch?

This is a first mod, I'm not sure I'm making more than 10 cuts total. Half of me wanted to just use my Jig-Saw and a hole cutting tool on my Power Drill.

Is it really so bad that I can't get away with just a 300 series and a few high quality cutoff blades?

Edit: If they burn out, why do people recommend them? I should just get a Craftsman Rotary and get the life time warranty for 3/4 the price of a Dremel

Last edited: 14 Aug 2010
  5. joavery

Bought a Craftsman for $100.

Came with the flex shaft and lifetime warranty. Can't argue with that.

Dremel on a three year warranty with a separate flex shaft would have set me back $130

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I have a (dead) Craftsman rotary tool too. Is the lifetime warranty you mention the classic craftsman "hand tools only" warranty? If so, they won't honor it on a power tool like that.:(

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I'm still using my Black & Decker RTX-B .... Heck of a deal, only $25.88 on Amazon.com and it fits the Dremel #225 Flex-shaft.

8. joavery

Actually they've extended their lifetime warranty to their EVOLV line of handtools. Nothing major, but their rotary tools are included in this branding.

9. vmast3r

vmast3r What's a Dremel?

I just invested in one recently too. I bought the Dremel 300. It cost me about $50 on Amazon. It's pretty affordable, and it's served me well so far.

10. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

I've used other brands of Dremel tools and I seriously always come back to Dremel. I love Dremel stuff so much :D

The 300 will be good :) The 300 and 400 are quite similar in terms of power, but then the 4000 series is just miles ahead. The 200 is absolutely entry level.

I own the 300, 400, and 4000, and I can say that if you want an amazing tool, go with the 4000. The 300/400 do the job as well, but the power delivered by the 4000 is amazing :D

EDIT: Ha, I just remembered that I also wrote a quick article about it on my website. Check it out

11. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Here in my country you can buy a 300 with flex shaft for 75€

12. L4nce0

L4nce0 Hmm what was that breaking sound..

In the 4 years I've been modding, one lesson pounded in my head, is Don't you Dare tought your dremel! ... seriously it's great at making bad cuts... So I'd think about invsting in say a jigsaw or a band saw, depending on your plans.

13. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have to side with L4nce0 here. If you have a jigsaw, why do you need a Dremel?

Dremels are nice to have, but they don't really do anything very well. A jigsaw and a proper drill will get you a long way, and they are both easier, quicker and more precise at the jobs they are made to do. :)

Oh, and never underestimate the power of a good hand file used properly. (you only file away from you. Lift the file when you pull it back towards you). A round, and a flat file should get you far for finishing up edges.

Having that said, if you need to do very detailed work and lots of different jobs on a tight budget, then a Dremel will probably be best.

14. joavery

Aye. I returned my Craftsman today.

Did a few cuts with it, found out the hard way that rotary tools aren't as precise as I'd like them to be. The only reason I needed/wanted it was to cut a few holes in a Mobo tray.

I picked up a metal hole saw and some microbits for my drill and jigsaw, going from there.