1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor for new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SDeshmukh, 13 Aug 2010.

1. SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to decide on a monitor for my new build and thought I'd get opinions from some knowledgeable people. Basically, I wouldn't want anything bigger than 23", and am aiming for 1920x1080 resolution, with a DVI and HDMI input. Speakers not necessary as I plan to get dedicated speakers anyway. I also need to spend a max of £150 on the monitor.

This is my shortlist so far:
    LG W2261VP
    Samsung B2230H
    LG Flatron W2353V

Anyone who owns or has owned one of these please feel free to let me know what you thought of your monitor. If people have suggestions for alternatives then please do reply.

Also a general question - some monitors seem to have a 2ms response time as opposed to 5ms. If I am going to be using it for movies and gaming am I actually going to notice a difference between these times?

Thanks

2. Zaim

Zaim Minimodder

How about this one mate:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/22-I...-Widescreen-LCD-2-ms-1920x1080-10001-Speakers

3. SDeshmukh

Is that one you have used or seen before and liked? It also has a 5ms response time but specs suggest it is not as bright as some of the monitors I have listed...

I'm thinking I might have to go into Curry's or PCWorld just to have a look at several monitors and see what I like the looks of.

4. monkeydud

monkeydud What's a Dremel?

I've just got the benq g2222hd. There is a version with HDMI as well. It is an amazing screen. The LED back light makes aload of difference and no lag or ghosting so far.

5. SDeshmukh

Thanks monkeydud, I didn't realise that BenQ G series at that size came with HDMI - it is the G2222HDH that has it. However, they don't seem to have an LED backlight along with HDMI.

I'm not bothered about this though, since elsewhere on the forum I have seen monitor discussions where they talk about LED backlights not adding much to the visual quality unless they are the high-end RGB LEDs?

6. Bakes182

Bakes182 What's a Dremel?

Asus ms238H, it's an ultraslim led monitor, my friend has one and I can't say I have seen a clearer display in a monitor, not to mention the design which is remarkable :)

7. SDeshmukh

Have spent some time looking into this, and now another issue has come up - I'm starting to think a 1920x1200 monitor would be better than the 1920x1080.

However, it seems that the higher res monitors are no longer being produced by most companies, or if they are then they are too large or expensive.

Anyone know of any 1920x1200 LCDs of 24" or less and costing £200 or less?

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You are going to find it hard to get anything with 1920 x 1200 res for that money.

I've a 24 in at 1920 x 1200 myself and I wouldn't want any lower res than that.

Ebay might be yor best thats were I got mine.

9. Narge

Narge What's a Dremel?

That's a good question. Any ideas, anyone?

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Got the Non-LED version of this, its a great monitor,

11. SDeshmukh

Ah, that's what I suspected. It seems that a few years ago 1920x1200 was the default resolution but now 1920x1080 has come in. No decent cheap (i.e. <£250) options for a 23" or 24" LCD at the higher res these days.

To be honest, I am not sure the extra 120 lines would be worth the extra cost. I know that TN is limited compared to IPS, but I don't think I want to spend that much on a monitor. After all, I am currently working with a 15.4" Macbook Pro screen and have been used to that size and resolution for 6+ years.

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I bought years ago a yuraku 24inc which turned to be a MVA I believe.

I wouldn't part with it, Great for gaming.

Apophis54 likes this.
  13. SDeshmukh

Done some more research and it looks like it will be around £300 minimum for a decent LCD at 1920x1200. Not sure I can justify a doubling of the price simply for that res. Will head into PC World or Curry's to look and see, but I think I will have to settle for 1920x1080.

I'm a bit wary of getting something from Ebay, especially a monitor costing £300+.