1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Weak' PSU Generates extra heat?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akira, 19 Jan 2003.

1. Akira

Akira What's a Dremel?

Can't be bothered to type a long post, basically does anyone know if it's a fact that PSU that's 'overworked' would generate considerably lot more heat?

Using a 300W on:

Abit KD7 + Athlon XP 2100+
    512 DDR pc2700
    GeForce4 Ti-4200
    2 HDDs
    CD-RW & DVD
    And the rest, hehe

Ak.

2. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

the theory is, the harder something works, the more heat it creates.

personally, id be wary of running that lot on a 450w PSU, let alone 300w

is your system really unstable at all, or runs a little sluggish, cuz theres no way everything is gettin the power it needs!

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Tommeh, did you mean to say "id be wary of running that lot on a 350w PSU, let alone 300w", because a 450 could handle all of that easy. Hell, a good 350 could handle all of that easy. A 300w I would definitely be worried about. My POS might-as-well-be-generic 300w is giving me all sorts of **** now. What am I doing about it? Getting it's ass replaced by a 400w Antec.

4. Akira

Akira What's a Dremel?

To be honest i have no problems whatsoever, it occasionnally rebooted itself but there was a setting in Windows which sorted that out, so basically there are NO problems. As for the system running sluggish, i have no noticed anything, i even get 10500K~ on 3D Mark 2001SE, which is slightly higher than the average.

But my heat is a problem...

Installed new HSF and case fan 3 days ago, a ThermalTake SmartCase Fan 2, and a Akasa 824cu and ArticSilver.

Idle Temps are about 42-45 System and CPU Surface, and Core is under 60.
    Under LOAD - Surface & System less than 50 & CPU Core goes to 65~.

But ABit's KD7 are known for their heat issues and i can't say my Case is good ventilated; only 1 decent case fan, other a generic piece of crap, and using my Stock Athlon CPU fan for extraction :D

Ak.

5. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I'd definitely say that ventilation is your problem. For the most part, heat generated from the PSU stays in there, as A. it's usually at the top of the system, and heat rises, and B. it's in a box that's mostly solid.

6. MadSkunkBurner

MadSkunkBurner What's a Dremel?

Agreed.

My mobo manual reckons you can use 230w for mimum spec and 300w for a fully configured system. I personally use a 400w but It's not really necessary.

Perhaps you should check out the PSU Guide just to make sure that you have a big enough PSU.

I reckon its a ventilation problem though :)

7. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

ventilation not psu...a decent psu can handle that system easily at 300w....well should do anyway...

8. Akira

Akira What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply guys!

Don't suppose you can suggest some decent Extraction fans?
    I'm considering buying a few and drilling some holes in my case :D

Ak.

9. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I'm a sucker for clear fans, the bigger the better. I have two 120mm fans in my case, 1 Sunon, 1 Enermax clear-bladed. Both have the same CFM, but the Enermax I can barely hear, while the Sunon I can barely hear over.

10. MadSkunkBurner

Have you been stealing propellors from aircraft again? :hehe:

11. Akira

Akira What's a Dremel?

Hmm, just opened up my case and left the computer running idle, the temps were:

System: 40
    CPU Surface: 39
    CPU Core: 57

Not that big a drop in temperature and it lead me to think: surely no matter how many extraction fans i have in my computer, it can't beat having the Case off? Meaning that my temp would never really drop below the 40 mark unless i stick a helicopter in there? :waah:

Ak.

12. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

what did i put?

oh yeah, lol

13. MadSkunkBurner

I was under the impression that intake and extractor fan combos ensured better airflow than removing your side panel and therefore better cooling.

When I changed cases I went from having the side right off on my old case to using a decent case with fans. I found this to run 5-7 degrees cooler.

I hope this helps!

I don't