1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling and VBatt +

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bogomip, 20 Jan 2003.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ok, I have a few problems regarding several things :)

I want to fool my dad into thinking my computer is off (as otherwise i cant leave it on all day, as i would like) so i have decided upon seeing the watercooling tutorial, i woul dmake my own watercoolign solution. I was just wondering about...

- The PSU Fan. Can this be taken out and replaced by watercooling, and if so, where in the PSU should it be located?
    - How cool would a CPU Waterblock the same as the one in the watercoolign tutorial (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23539) make the CPU ?
    - How do you go about attaching waterblocks to the system :p

Second thing :) My new motherboard keeps telling me that my VBatt Voltage is too high, However in the BIOS or in the Monitor porogram I cannot do anything about the voltage! Does anyone know what I can do, and if its hurting my system?

Third Thing :) My new PC seems to crash whenever a great task is thrust upon it (like opening a 1gig VOB file for instance). Now my CPU is very hot usually (about 67-75 degrees celcius) Could this be causing the crashes, or should i be a little more concerned?

Hehe, thanks :)

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

1> No idea never water cooled.
    2>What cpu are you running? it maybe a case of you motherboard not running that low on the volt side.
    3> Yep that temp is probably your problem, along with the high voltage making it run hot.

Edit: I misread the Volt thing I have no idea what VBatt is (at a guess its Volt Battery) I thought it was Volt core.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2003
  3. Adam

Adam Minimodder

A PSU can be watercooled, but you will have to knock something up yourself (see Bladerunner's Zerofanzone). My Q-tec 550w was a breeze to watercool as the heatsinks weren't live - I just slapped an old maze2 on with a bit of thermal epoxy and I was away! <pimpage>It's for sale too</pimpage>.

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

hmmm, yes, VBat is the Battery Voltage. Apparantly its runnign at 3.62, the max the computer liking is 3.6. Could this be affecting the voltage on the CPU ?

Im getting a new fan for it sometime soon, ill see if that helps!

Thanks for all the replys so far :) keep them coming :D

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

to test whether it is the heat, i have underclocked the CPU from a 13x Multiplyer to a 10x Multiplyer.

I figure this will cool it down a bit :) so i can see whats happening!

6. Trebor95

Trebor95 What's a Dremel?

ok :)

The PSU can be taken out and replaced by a waterblock (as has been sugeested check out Baldeunners site :) very impresive) but the large heatsinks in the PSU on the caps i think can be live or not, enermax do have live heatsinks, and the q-tec dont (again has been said :)) but I dont know about others.

normal watercooling with one rad, 7V fan, no T.E.C's or waterchillers etc. should be just above aircooling with onbaord or on die sensors (on die diodes are much more accurate - in theory)

but watercooling can handle higher voltages much better 2V.

Vbatt is the battery which keeps the BIOS settings stored and clock etc. running when your PC is off, what is making the warning about it being too high? is it some software? a mbm type monitoring program? or do you have one of those new fangled mobos that shouts at you when it doesnt like something? if so are there any options to disable it?

temp is slightly too hot, its AMD is it? to check if its heat either drop the voltage a bit, or take the side panel off your PC and stick a large desk fan next to it, if it crashes then I'd doubt its a heat problem, could be an overloaded PSU.

HTH

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

right, how much should i drop it by to make a good enough diferance? to make it about 60 ? i still want my performace though :)

its a program supplied by abit called "winbond". But it only screams about it when i turn it on, the bios says it is the same voltage!

8. Trebor95

well what voltage are you running at now?

if its less than 1.8V then I think you may have a poor heatsink or poor case ventilation

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

1.75V, grrrrrrrr.

Im getting a new fan tommorrow. It wont be case ventilation ( i have the side off ;))

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

hmm, i turned the multiplyer down to 10, so its runnign a bit slower than a 2000+ XP. it hasnt crashed, even when opening big files and playing ut 2003 and stuff. everything is going well :) Im quite hopefull :)

does turnign the multiplyer down damage the CPU atall ?

11. Trebor95

not lowering the multiplier doesn't damage the CPU, just means that it'll be operating at a lower speed than what you paid for it to do :) unless you were overclocking in the first place. :)

hehe, youre now running at 1330Mhz? what FSB you running at atm?

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

uhmm, 166 i tihnk :) or maybe 133. Bu ti have DDR 2700, and at boot it says "Set memory for 333" or osmething :)