1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Connection Frequently Drops

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by stepea, 29 Aug 2010.

1. stepea

stepea What's a Dremel?

Got a Billion 7300g router and it goes through spells where it constantly drops the connection - every five minutes. It can go months without any problems. I'm going through one of those spells again where I'm having problems.

I've got an old Binatone USB modem which was performing well until now having the same problem.

Is it my ISP dropping my connection - would a better router improve things.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2010
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If two modems/routers are doing the same thing, I would suggest the line, or ISP is where the problem lies.

You connected directly to the master socket, or via an extension? If extension, try the master socket, as that will be the first thing your ISP's tech help will ask you to do anyway.

3. stepea

stepea What's a Dremel?

It's not connected to the master socket just one of the other phone sockets around the house.

I will try the master socket.

It's strange because I go months without problems then all of a sudden one problem after another. It's done this a few times.

4. stepea

stepea What's a Dremel?

I tried master the socket which meant moving the router into another room - no luck it's still dropped the line.

What next ?

get the line tested ?

5. Pookeyhead

I'd give your ISP's tech help a try first.

Try the seemingly obvious as well. The cable from the modem to the socket... got a spare? If so, try it.

Have you checked every socket in the house has a filter? Do you have a sky box connected to the phone line? Some people report issues with sky boxes, and using 2 filters cures it apparently.

Bell wire interference? The orange wire in your BT socket is a redundant legacy of old phones that needed a high current signal to operate the bell. You can disconnect this as it sometimes causes problems.

More info here.

Radio interference? New neighbour moved in recently? For all you know, there could be a radio amateur nearby, or some idiot with a CB radio.

6. stepea

stepea What's a Dremel?

Not changed anything from yesterday but seems to be more stable. Had to reset the router a couple of times. Would it be the router overheating, it shouldn't do but there are times that it's on for long period of time.

7. Pookeyhead

Yeah.. don't rule out the router. I had a Netgear router once. It was solid for years, then suddenly just started losing sync. I remember shouting at Blueyonder to sort it out, only to be told in a patronising voice that there's "nothing wrong here". It was the router. :)

Keep your eye on it. If it starts again, see if you get your hands on another router or modem to rule it out before you start shouting at your ISP... and especially if you get BT to check your line, as they charge quite a lot if no fault is found.

8. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately with this type of intermittent issue you will have to patiently work through a number of steps, some of which have already been mentioned. I had a similar issue recently which ended up being an issue with the BT line, which due to it being intermittent, they didn't find til the 2nd visit.

First off are you connecting wirelessly to the router, if so use a hardwired connection if possible. Secondly and most important, when you get connection issues what is the phone line like? cut off, crackly, if so try the phone direct into the test socket without any other equipment. A sure sign that its the phone line.

I would call your ISP, they should be able to tell you if there are any obvious issues remotely, and should be able to monitor the amount of disconnections that occur.

If the steps above don't provide a diagnosis, rule out the following:

One by one swap out:
    - ADSL filter.
    - Router cable.
    - Another router (although it sounds like the issue has already occured with two)

Monitor after swapping each piece of individual kit, to see if the fault has cleared.

Also, remove the face plate of your master socket, and connect directly into the test socket behind before swapping out the above.

If you have ruled out everything, your ISP or phone provider should raise a fault with BT. If the fault is their end then the callout is free from your perspective, if the issue is with your kit they will charge you something in the region of £120 +. This is why it is worth proving everything your end before a BT engineer is called to site.

Hope this helps. :)