1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC Build Advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smugboy, 4 Sep 2010.

1. smugboy

smugboy What's a Dremel?

Budget: £1000. £450 to £500 left to spend as I have already grabbed some bits

Main uses of intended build: Gaming

Parts required:

Mobo
    CPU
    CPU Cooler
    RAM
    DVD read/write
    Case (and fans?)
    Windows

Previous build information (list details of parts):

I'm about half way through an upgrade at the moment with my current 2 year old Core 2 Duo system having had the following parts put into it that I will put in the new system (and revert the C2D system back to its original components):

GPU - Palit 460 1 Gb (replacing 8800GT)
    PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600 W (replacing 500W FSP Blue storm)
    Monitor - Samsung SM2233RZ (replacing an earlier 22" that's now attached to my old Athlon XP box)
    HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (replacing a WD 500GB)
    Soundcard - XiFi Gamer (C2D box will revert to onboard)
    Keyboard & Mouse - Saitek Eclipse & Logitech MX518 (XP box has Keyboard and mouse that will go to the core2 box when it gets demoted)
    Wireless card - as above, I'll probably swap about the two I have

Monitor resolution:

1680*1050

was going to go higher (1080p) but decided that less pixels would help frame rate and higher detail settings, especially as time goes by

Storage requirements:

1TB F3 I have will do for now. I see an SDD coming in early 2011, say a nice 120Gb model for OS and games. If I remember right ramp up of 25nm NAND production is expected to bring prices down around then

Will you be overclocking: yes

Nothing crazy - Needs to be long term safe/stable, and don't want to spend huge dollar on cooling. To give you a feel for the balance I like to strike I have an E4500 (good cheap OC CPU at the time I bought) clocked from 2.2 to 3.2 using an AC Freezer Pro. I'm thinking £20, £25, maybe £30 on cooling

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):

Needs to accomodate my graphics, sound and wireless cards.

Not into SLI (micro-stuttering, hit & miss, power draw)
    My GFX card is dual slot
    Sound card and wireless are both PCI, not PCIE

So I think I need at least 2 PCI slots that won't be obstructed by the GFX card. I believe this is an issue for many mATX boards. Would welcome advice this (e.g. get cheapish USB wireless + mATX?)

Quite like the idea of USB3. Not so fussed about SATA6Gb - I hear it doesn't make much difference and that a lot of P55 boards drop to 8x on GFX PCIE if USB3 & SATA6 are used.

Extra information about desired system:

Don't want to spend the earth on a case, but like decent cooling
    Like quiet
    Prefer function over form and not tended towards bling / flashing lights, but value is king (I have more blue lights than I want, but the components were a good enough buy to live with it)

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

3. smugboy

smugboy What's a Dremel?

Thanks murraynt

760 - like it (wish AMD was back on form - getting better, but I miss the glory days of 939)

mobo - mATX => won't let me use 2 PCI and a double slot GFX tho right? Also no USB3

memory - like it, but not in stock

HSF - broken link. Think it's the Gelid Tranquilo that is recomended in the Bittech guides, which is a definite consideration

Case - Like the idea of larger than 120mm fans and this comes with 2*140mm + 1*120mm. Like the adaptor that will allow for SSD upgrade. Its moer dosh than I normally look to throw at a case though. An Antec 300 is nearly half the price

Any other ideas - esp case & mobo?

4. smugboy

smugboy What's a Dremel?

Here's my best seletion so far:

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) £102
    Intel Core i5 760 £150
    Gelid Tranquillo £25
    Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz £75
    Sony AD-7241S £16
    Antec 300 Three Hundred £43
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - OEM £74

= £485

Would welcome thoughts, especially on alternates for: mobo, case, cooler (Gelid is currently out of stock at Scan) & DVD drive

Last edited: 5 Sep 2010
  5. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

take i5 750 over the i5 760, hardly noticeable difference in performance if u overclock the former. Will save you some dollars

6. KingSheepy

KingSheepy ?lemerD a s'tahW

I definitely agree on the Antec 300 and i5 750, it's supposed to be a killer overclocker.

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Motherboard:http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Giga...156-DDR3-2200-SATA-II-and-III-USB-30-RAID-ATX
    Memory:http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-...600)-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24-DHX-165v
    The reason i didnt give this memory first was that i am unsure if this will clash with the hsf or not.
    The hsf was indeed the Gelid Tranquilo.
    Case wise you could go for the 'Lite' version of the 690 which is the same case only without the hdd bay on top.
    It will only cost 15 pound more than a 300 which isnt too much when you take the price of 140 pounds of the motherboard into consideration.
    The antec 300 is still a great case though.

8. smugboy

smugboy What's a Dremel?

750 and 760 are same price (+/- £3). I was thinking the higher multiplier might give more flexibillity and/or OC headroom and that going 760 was likely to meean more recent manufacture/newer stepping and hence potentially better OC.

Anyone know if these assumptions sensible?

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

As far as i know the 760 has a higher multiplier of 21 instead of 20.
    It will overclock better but only by 100 mhz at most.I would go for the 760 as its only 3 pounds in the difference.

10. smugboy

smugboy What's a Dremel?

Thanks murraynt - I really appreciate the input.

The main variables for me at the moment are: mobo, cooler, case, memory and DVD drive.

I don't think I can splurge £140 on the UD4, so I'm thinking of these at about a ton:

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
    ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

Any views? Why would I want the UD4?

I want the Tranquilo, but might have to consider alternatives if stock stays a problem. I'm thinking of these as fallbacks:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    Akasa Nero S V2
    Akasa Freedom Tower CPU Cooler Review
    Akasa Nero S premier
    Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir

(These are in approx price order from £20 to £30, with £30 being a bit more than I really want to throw at the cooler)

Case

Antec 300 £43
    Coolermaster Storm Scout Gaming Case £59
    Coolermaster CM 690 Pure Black Dominator £60 (Is this what you meant by "Lite"?)
    Xigmatek Utgard £62
    Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced £76 (quite liked the 2.5" adaptor for future SSD upgrade. Didin't like the temps in the Bittech review, and most of the advanced bits are surplus to requirements, e.g. the external drive dock)
    Coolermaster HAF 922 £79 (If you are going to spend £76...)

I like cool, quiet & good cable routing. Seeing how much Fingers66 has improved his Antec 300's cable management put me off this option a bit. Great work, but I'm not a modder - I want Antec to do sell it like that!. Made me think of paying more and going with an Utgard.

Memory - like the look of the Dominators, but will need to find out about conflict with the cooler (anyone know?). About my only issue with Scan is their limited range of memory. Corsair is a great brand, but you have the choice of that or.... Corsair!

DVD read/write - any alterantives I should be thinking of?

11. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

hmm at my retailer the 760 is like 10 dollars more (US). That's interesting
    If it overclocks the same way, then by all means go for it.

can't go wrong with the titan fenrir honestly

Coolermaster CM 690 is a beautiful case, i have one myself.

12. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I just picked the UD4 as it is an excellent board but the GA-P55A-UD3 is just as good.
    Cooler wise the A Thermaltake Frio/Titan Fernirr/Akasa Nero s are are excellent.
    This is what i meant as Lite
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/Coolermaster-CM-690-II-Lite-Black-Mid-Tower-Case-w-o-PSU
    If you want a quite case look at the fractal R3 which should be in stock in next week or so.
    As DVD Drives go get the cheapest one you can find that has sata as it will be rarely used.
    M memory wont make a big difference that just what scan had.
    I think The dominators will be ok for an i5 system as it wont be as close to the hsf as in an i7 system.