1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Shutdown problems ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toxic_Lemon, 6 Sep 2010.

1. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone, ok heres my problem i have a Abit AN8 Fatal1ty sli mobo, fx 57 cpu (skt 939), Nvidia 9800 GT 1gb, 2 x sticks of crucial ballistix memory (2x 512mb), arctic power psu 500 watts (new) . Now my problem is whenever i try to play a game or some websites with 3d images on my computer just shuts off no warning no beep, i have gone into bios and unchecked the uguru items that tell it too shut off in case of over heating, but still it shuts off. It`s not a overheating problem because i can turn pc on from cold double click a game and bam it shuts down again, goes completely off.
    Any ideas would be great, btw i have redone the thermal paste on the cpu put a new hsf on checked my memory all seems fine.

2. zoea

zoea What's a Dremel?

When did it start? That's a pretty old system (though a good one) so I guess you didn't just put it together. What might have caused it?

Also have you tried an OS reinstall? Maybe on a spare hard drive...

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

What sort of gpu is it?

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

things to check:

run seatools for DOS
    run memtest
    run furmark
    run prime95

id start with furmark if you cant play games. try to update GPU drivers or change slots on the mobo.

try antoher GPU if it stops doing it chances are its a duff graphics card.

5. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

If its dieing as soon as you load a game it has to be graphics, memory or power problems. Start testing these and let us know how it goes.

6. Toxic_Lemon

I will keep you all posted on the above , btw the graphics card is 9800 GT PCI-E (dual slot)

7. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

I had this start happening to me a couple of years ago. The issue with my PC was an ailing PSU. Everytime the system tried to start anything in 3d the PC just instantly shut down. Listen out for any odd sounds coming from the power supply, high pitch buzzing or whines.

It could also be the graphics card. The best thing to do would be to find a donor PSU and/or graphics card, you can get entry level cheapies <£20 on ebays. If you try to run a 3D app with the new card in and it still shuts down, the likely offender is the PSU not being able to give enough power. Or visa-versa try a donor PSU, if the PC shuts down again, it's probably because there is something wrong with the graphics card - which is especially true if you can get you CPU through a run of Prime95.

8. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Are there any GPU Stress testing tools? If he ran that and got artifacts then the GPU is at fault, but if it shuts down then it would be the PSU.

how many amps can that PSU provide on the 12v rail?

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Furmark is a GPU stressing tool.

question though has the problem started since you switched PSU i noticed you put (new) next to it ?

10. Toxic_Lemon

The problem has been there with the previous psu too, that was a 800 watt (enermax) cant remember model name, now the psu i am using is this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124922.