1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Blind user voice activated computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roddyrags, 7 Sep 2010.

?

Can you recommend a funding solution?

1. Yes ... I'll look at [url]www.roddys-photos.com[/url] and donate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Probably I'll get a pal to look at [url]www.roddys[/url] etc...

33.3%
  3. don't bother me now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. sod off roddy you chancer

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if the msdnaa would be strictly legal, but I'm using my copy of 64 bit windows, and i've given the 32bit version to my mum, which is running with no problems. The keys dont go invalid the moment i'm no-longer a student, so there wouldn't be a problem with it. On that note, I've used my 2 win7 licences, but if a copy of vista is any use to you, you're welcome to it.

With the Nexus value PSU, it might just be me, but i've never heard of it, and its not in the Recommended PSU list... I'd go with something like the OCZ Stealth XStream which is well known,reliable, very quiet, and about £20 cheaper.

Onboard sound is pretty good these days - as important as it is in this build, what its actually doing is quite basic, and you'll see practically no difference between onboard and a separate soundcard.

IMO the sonata would be a very bad choice of case, as all the buttons and the CD drive are behind a door. Also, i've built in this case before, and the fans are shockingly loud on anything but their minimum speed, and even then they're perfectly audible. Despite the extra cost, this still looks like a good option to me. You'd have to be careful with your choice of CPU cooler though, as the power supply will get in the way of most of them.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2010
    roddyrags likes this.
  2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Agreed, I have had a Sonata II for nearly four years and the Antec TriCools are only quiet on the lowest setting. There is only a single exhaust fan, although you can put an internal 120mm in it on the inside of the hard drive cage where it gets in the way more than anything else. The door has driven me nuts for the whole time, so no door on my other cases. It is a bugger of a case to work in, you have to remove the motherboard to remove the PSU and the cable routing options suck.

Years ago I had to support a guy running some sight-impaired assistance software, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it but I think he used the Dolphin software as well. I found the multiple software packages needed quite CPU intensive (on an old Dell Optiplex running XP)/

Getting the graphics calibrated with the software was a pain to get setup and if I recall correctly, the software only supported certain graphics chip and driver combinations - I hope it has moved on since then. If it wasn't calibrated then the audio feedback from the software was wrong.

roddyrags likes this.
  3. roddyrags

roddyrags What's a Dremel?

more good advice thanks

I had that feedback problem with a laptop specifically supplied by dolphin before.... That's part of the reason I am trying to build from ground up.

OK...

Going to mix it up with the cases here..... glad you chose the sugo I think I mentioned that one earlier but
    how about this? apart from the dodgy graphics on the case anyproblems with a

Coolermaster Ammo 533 Black/ Silver Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Coolermaster-Ammo-533-Black-Silver-Mid-Tower-Case-w-o-PSU

Last edited: 7 Sep 2010
  4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Hah, no worries. I've never tried to build a computer for a visually impaired lady before; it woulda been a bit of a surprise to get it right first time lol

5. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

The Nexus Value 430 is perfectly fine, and will be much quieter than the majority of PSUs, especially when it has to deal with hot air, as would have been shown in the review that Deadpunkdave linked @ SPCR. However cost is a valid point, but there is no reason that can I see to get the 500W version of the StealthXStrream. I'd suggest the 400W version instead.

roddyrags likes this.
  6. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Absolutely agree, I'd forgotten there was a 400w one (i was in the 401-500w category :duh: )

7. roddyrags

Good call Mr Teal thanks.
    sumarising again ... we are at

Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E51 AMD 785G AM3 Motherboard £55.91 (claimed good sound... no need for seprate card for sennheiser pc360 correct? anyone disagree?)

cpu : AMD CPU Athlon II 250 Dual Core Processor £46.98 up to the job at passmark 1702 agreed?

Case: between Silverstone SST-SG04B-FH and cheaper Coolermaster Ammo 533 anyone bold enough to approve the 533 or should I shut up about it?

PSU: stealth extreme 400w £34.98

How would I know if the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2.1 - will fit in the case with the PSU?
    Is there a standard mounting point for an AM3 on a micro ATX board giving me so many mm up down left right front back?

8. roddyrags

sound and processor check

You folks have all been brilliant! I am so much further ahead now. Thank You!
    Got to go to bed now though. Kids need to jump on my head in the morning.
    Will check in again in morning.

quick sleep over... morning...

just checked Dragon Naturally speaking requirements...

two issues arising in it.... I will try and check it out to best of my ability if you know the answer please respond.....
    1. Sound card has to be Creative® Labs Sound Blaster® 16 or equivalent sound card supporting 16-bit recording Are you sure our onbaord can cope with this?
    2. processor We recommend 1.8 GHz Intel Dual Core or equivalent AMD processor. (IMPORTANT: SSE2 instruction set required)

System Requirements - Premium Version

The install process checks that your system meets the minimum requirements; if they are not met, Dragon NaturallySpeaking will not be installed.

* CPU: minimum 1 GHz Intel® Pentium® or equivalent AMD processor or 1.66 GHz Intel® Atom® processor. We recommend 1.8 GHz Intel Dual Core or equivalent AMD processor. (IMPORTANT: SSE2 instruction set required)
    * Processor Cache: minimum 512 MB We reccommend 2GB
    * Free hard disk space: 2.5 GB (2.8 GB for localized non-English versions)
    * Supported Operating Systems:
    o Microsoft Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit
    o Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 and SP2, 32-bit and 64-bit
    o Microsoft Windows XP SP2 and SP3, 32-bit only
    o Windows Server 2003 and 2008, SP1, SP2 and R2, 32-bit and 64-bit
    o Windows Vista™ or Windows Vista™ SP1, 32-bit and 64-bit
    * RAM: minimum 1 GB for Windows XP and Windows Vista, and 2 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003/2008. We recommend 2 GB RAM for Windows XP and Windows Vista, and 4 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003/2008 64-bit
    * Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 6 or higher (free download available at www.microsoft.com)
    * Creative® Labs Sound Blaster® 16 or equivalent sound card supporting 16-bit recording
    * DVD-ROM drive required for installation
    * Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone (included in purchase). See details at support.nuance.com/compatibility/(includes Bluetooth microphones, recorders, and Tablet PCs).
    * Note: An internet connection is required for product activation (a quick anonymous process).

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  9. roddyrags

ok sse2 is covered by AMD Athlon II 250 thanks

10. roddyrags

Been through the manual for the MSI Board... the onboard sound .... I Think (not good enough)... is 32 bit on each channel in or out...
    however the RealTek Audio configuration software didn't look to have an option for setting the resolution of the input sampling... (only SPDIF rate) we are using 3.5mm jacks.
    There was an option for feedback canceling ... handy.
    any thoughts?

11. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

The creative labs sound blaster is an ancient card. any new onboard sound will be MUCH better than what that card had to offer.

SSE2 instruction set has also been absolutely standard for quite a long time (any processor you buy today will support it).

All the system requirements of Naturally speaking are more than covered by all the specced systems.

BTW, you can edit your posts. Double and especially triple posts are a bit frowned upon :)