1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU fans for prolimatech armageddon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SDeshmukh, 29 Jul 2010.

1. SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh What's a Dremel?

Hello, sorry this is a very basic question, but I am new to PC building. I wondered what people would recommend for CPU fans for this heatsink. I plan to go with 140mm fans.

Also, my motherboard (Asus P6X58D-E) has only one connector (4-pin) for the CPU fan. If I use 2 CPU fans, I would guess I need a Y cable, but I seem to only find 3-pin cables. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

The Scythe Gentle Typhoon is an excellent fan although i don't know if you can get a 140mm but a 120mm one of these should be loads

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Going by CPC's group test of fans, 140mm are awful, so unless something radical has happened I'd stick to 120mm. I just mounted my TRUE with 2 Gentle Typhoons @ 1850RPM (up from 2 Noctua P series fans) they make no noise and push lots more air at a very high pressure. This resulted in a temp drop of 15C for me.

4. SDeshmukh

Thanks for the input guys. I made the incorrect assumption that 140mm fans could be quieter and virtually as good as 120mm. Will look into the gentle typhoons :)

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No problem :)

6. SDeshmukh

Oh by the way, what about the splitter cable for the 4-pin CPU plug? Looking at some pictures of the gentle typhoons, it looks like it actually has a 3-pin plug for the CPU fan header - is this the case?

7. SDeshmukh

Sorry to dredge this up again, but I have actually managed the build. The only problem was that the clips that came with the Armageddon don't seem to be able to secure 120mm fans, just 140mm ones. Anyone with one of these CPU coolers got advice on the actual fans they are using?