1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build complete help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrism_scotland, 18 Sep 2010.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland What's a Dremel?

Well despite some delivery issues and my Utgard case coming from Ebuyer damaged (had to trek out to PC World to buy a mint one!) I've got my build complete, however I'm now unable to get the PC to recognise my Abit Airpace Wifi Card, I've installed the drivers but nothing, just wondering if its maybe something to do with installing Windows 7 64 bit and should I just stick to 32bit?

Also when my PC boots I'm getting "CPU Fan Error" what does this mean?

2. Unlinked

Unlinked Then how am I online?

Ouch, that's some bad luck, did you return it to Ebuyer? I'm quite surprised I've always had such an amazing experience using them.. I'm also surprised PCWorld stock a case even close to something like the Utgard, most of the cases they have are terrible.

If the drivers installed properly, it won't be an issue with 7 x64, I'd never recommend switching down to 32Bit for anyone.. Simply due to the fact I find the former more stable. Have you checked it's inserted into the PCI/or PCI-E slot correctly? Have you also checked the device manager to see that it is actually recognised by the system? If it is recognised, check to see if there's a device error. Another alternative may be to check the IRQ settings within the BIOS.

Either your CPU fan is failing to power up, running at a speed so low the motherboard thinks there's an issue with it, or the fan isn't connected to the motherboard properly (I assume you have a modern CPU HSF that has a PWM fan -4pins- ensure it's plugged into the 4pin fan header closest to the CPU socket).

3. nyrex88

nyrex88 What's a Dremel?

The cpu fan error will (i assume) be because u have the cpu fan plugged into the fan controller instead of the motherboard. You can disable this warning in the bios if this is the case. :)

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

If its an older wi-fi card the chances are the W7 wont recognise it. After doing problem solving on several older machines recently i've noticed that Windows 7 almost universally refuses to acknowledge the existence of anything other than CPU and mobo of 4 years age or more (probably not the case but its how it seems). For anything of that nature i will always go direct to the manufacturer website for the very latest drivers anyway, usually saves hassle in the long run.

Is your CPU fan going directly to the motherboard or have you got it running through a molex powered fan controller? Even with it working this way the board will still throw up the CPU fan error since there's no physical connection to the board on that header.

5. chrism_scotland

Yeah its getting sent back to Ebuyer, was very frustrated!!!!

Yeah the CPU fan is connected to the PWR port rather than the CPU one and I've managed to switch off the warning! All the fans work!

The Wireless Card is brand new so I can't see that its a problem with Windows 7 not seeing it, I've installed in on the PCI-E x1 Port on my Asus M4A88TD-V EVO motherboard and installed the drivers provided on the CD that came with it but nothing, I've even tried installing my old Belkin Wifi Card and it doesn't work either.

I'm not sure if the PC is finding the cards or not, but in device manager it is showing as "Ethernet Controller" and Problem under "Other Devices"

Can anyone suggest anything, tearing my hair out! :(

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I had a similar problem with a much older wireless card not working but I managed to solve it though you may need to know the manufacturer of the chip the card actually uses.

This is what I did(may be slightly wrong because mines now working so I can't run through the options anymore);
    Open up device manager
    Right click on the device and select update driver software
    Click browse my computer for driver software
    Click let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    You should see a list of manufacturers on the left and when you select one you should get a list of various cards/models on the right hopefully for your card if you can find it.

I hope this helps somewhat and that I haven't missed too much out.

7. chrism_scotland

Perfect mate, posting from my new pc now!!! Woo its a Atheros chipset.
    Is there any software or anything I can download to tell how hot everything is getting?

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

9. chrism_scotland

Thanks mate, can anyone tell me what TMPIN2 is? The temperature seems ridiculous but everything else seems fine:

[​IMG]

10. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Several people agreed on this at the extremeoverclocking forums so i'd imagine thats the case. Someone here might be able to verify this or not better than I since when i run it that doesn't show, I presume that's an Intel only affair.

11. chrism_scotland

Perfect! Thankyou, was getting worried!

12. nyrex88

nyrex88 What's a Dremel?

Mine is excactly the same Chris, :)

13. chrispy61

chrispy61 What's a Dremel?

Nice one mate. Ive just built my first computer, pretty satisfying ay??? :thumb:

14. chrism_scotland

Nice build, how you finding it?

15. nyrex88

nyrex88 What's a Dremel?

It's a beast compared to what i had before, however i havent actually got the 460 yet, so i havent been able to test it properly :)

Only gripes i had was with the fenrir fan, but that was easily remidied.

ill post a pick up soon of the alterations im planning to make, just gotta get a day where i can do it all >.<

16. chrism_scotland

I've found the Fenrir fan to be quite loud, might swap it with one of the case fans as suggested, I'm not sure I've got my case fans wire up right, how did you do yours, I mean where did you connect them to?

17. nyrex88

nyrex88 What's a Dremel?

To start with i had the 3 case fans attached to one of the fan controllers and the cpu fan attached to the motherboards cpu header. but since i have moved the cpu fan to the second fan controller turn down all the way. The fenrir is a good enough cooler that it performs brilliantly even when the fans are on slowest speed. and it makes alot of difference to the noise. :)

18. chrism_scotland

I think I've got mine wired wrong, I take it I want to be able to control all 3 case fans using the controls on the case?

19. nyrex88

nyrex88 What's a Dremel?

Personally, i think its better to have controll over them yes. Then you could turn them down to keep things quiet, or turn them up when ur gaming to help keep your 460 from being too toasty.

But i'm still a noob at all this, first time builder here >.<

20. chrism_scotland

Me too first time build! I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can wire them up any different, not sure which control changes which fan!