1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yamin151, 22 Sep 2010.

1. yamin151

yamin151 It all started with the 464!!!

Hi all,

First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong place. Was not sure where to ask the question. I have just built my new system:

Mobo: gigabyte GA-p55m- ud2
    CPU: Core i5 750
    GPU: HIS 5770
    Ram: 4GB 1,600MHz DDR3
    HDD: Samsung F1 Spinpoint 1TB
    Monitor: Benq 2220 21.5inch
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

I have encountered an annoying problem which I don't seem able to get to the bottom of. The computer will boot up with no problems and goes into windows fine. 90% of the time it is perfectly ok, but then sometimes it just hangs, (seems to be random and not associated with any particular programme or process) and the onlt way to restart it is to turn it off and on again. However after doing this it then goes past the splash screen and returns the 'Boot disk error, insert system disk and press enter' and will go no further.
    Several times windows has tried the repair option which sometimes works and sometimes does not.
    So far I have run memtest with no problems, tested hard drive, all temps seem ok, and I have done a short stress test on the CPU with no problems.
    Could it be:
    1. Sata cables to hard drive?
    2. Sata connection on motherboard
    3. Something else

ANY help would be appreciated

Once again I apologise if this is the wrong forum,

J

Last edited: 22 Sep 2010
  2. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Just a random thought or two...

One thing to look at is display drivers. If you are using the windows driver, then grab the latest ATI driver. if you are already using the latest ATI driver, then try finding a driver that is a couple of months old.

I presume that when the machine is stable, it is properly stable. You mentioned a CPU stress test, what about games and gpu stress?

Your machine might be blue-screening without you knowing. Have you tried turning off the automatic re-boot after a blue screen? The blue screen carries an error code that might help.

3. yamin151

yamin151 It all started with the 464!!!

blue scree...

Thanks,

To turn of automatic reboot....is that in bios?

J