Cooling Crashing at 40

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Blitzgreen, 24 Sep 2010.

1. Blitzgreen

Blitzgreen What's a Dremel?

some times my pc is reseting its self when its between 40-45oC i have cleaned it and there is no change in temp any ideas what i should do?

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

40c is not that hot for a crash. Something else is going on here. I would re-seat/ reset all bios settings to default and then we can go from there.

Apophis54 likes this.
  3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

System spec's and what you are doing when it crash's whould help.

Apophis54 likes this.
  4. Blitzgreen

the computer just crashes at random once or twice when i turn it on in the morning then runs ok. i know basics but i cant name board names or bios basicly its amd 1.0Ghz cpu has 768mb of sd ram 128mb nvidia gpu 20gb hdd i boot from and a 80gb hdd i use for backup and storage. motherboard and cpu are around 15 years old i added new ram gpu and 80gb hdd around 5 years ago when i got it from a friend

Apophis54 likes this.
  5. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

"crashing at 40" - is it relative to your age? :D

It could be anything, but it should work fine on default settings in BIOS.
    Temps are OK (I guess it's an Athlon or Duron) but I would start from basic:
    - put a new thermal compound on the CPU (be careful with the core while remove and reassemble cooler); if you can try this with your VGA as well,
    - memtest to check the RAM,
    - HD test (e.g. HD Tune) you should be able to get a S.M.A.R.T. (health) status for both,
    - if it's possible provide more info: is it a blue screen (BSOD), it hangs up, or switches off.

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

If you remove the case side panel and point a desk fan in, you can then stress the PC and see if it still crashes ruling out (or in) overheating.

7. Blitzgreen

its still feels like a dream but a it tech guy moved into my building we really hit it off and he found the root of the problem rusted caps on the motherboard but hes says the cpu wont fit on any new motherboards but he is going to help me build a new computer with his 30% discount sweet!

8. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Some guys have all the luck :sigh:

If you wanted, you could still get your hands on a compatible motherboard, probably very cheap. Lots of people have old bits of hardware floating around.

9. Blitzgreen

10. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I wasn't saying i doubted you'd get good prices, just that it would very likely be possible to fix your current computer for not much money.

I dont know if they're good prices or not... i did a few random checks and for an older CPU (intel e3500) they were as cheap as anything google could find, but for the i5 650 they were about £10 more expensive than dabs. Ofc, if you get -30% ontop of those prices, its good :)

Last edited: 24 Sep 2010
    Apophis54 likes this.
  11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

check for malware, and make sure everything is up to date, antivirus, windows etc

Apophis54 likes this.
  12. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

That is one old machine... I wouldnt bother with trying to find parts for something like that. You can seriously build something 3-4 times faster for $300 or so. Double that up to $600-750 and you can get a dang fast gaming rig.

Rust on caps, hehe. That is funny though! Glad he is helping you out too. :)

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I seriously doubt it was rust. Much more likely it's vented electrolyte from the capacitors themselves. I'm not surprised either - they're only rated for about 30,000 hours (3.5 years usage). And that's the good ones.