1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX460 or GTX470

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abhijat, 27 Sep 2010.

1. abhijat

abhijat What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I was looking at buying the Gainward NVIDIA GTX 460 Graphics Card for my new build (using core i5 760 and 4GB of ram) but then someone pointed out the Palit/XpertVision NVIDIA GTX 470 Graphics Card (£20 more) and Asus NVIDIA GTX 470 Graphics Card (£40 more).

Do you think there is a considerable improvement using the GTX470 over the 460. And if so, which would you recommend between the two cards. I don't really want to spend over £230 on graphics card.

Thanks in advance for the help.

With thanks,

Ab

2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

The 470 is a bit faster, but it runs hotter, uses more juice, and doesn't represent a good enough value/cost ratio to warrant getting it over a 460. Get a 1gb 460 and OC the nuts off it.

3. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

You missed out how LOUD the 470 is, other than that I agree with your post. Get a 460, with amds new gpus just around the corner, there is no point spending loads on a gpu.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Personally, I'd wait until the 6xxx series has been launched. If the numbers seen so far for these cards are even remotely accurate, they'll be truly awesome.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Above post is spot on. By most measures they are 2 weeks away.

6. abhijat

abhijat What's a Dremel?

Cool. Thanks for letting me know. The gfx card is the last thing I'm buying anyway so I'll try and wait for the 6xxx series :)

7. abhijat

abhijat What's a Dremel?

Just to add to my previous message, could you please give some links where I can find out more about these cards e.g. probable price, benchmark results etc.

Thanks

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

As usual, Docodine's on the case!

If you also check out the wikipedia entry the numbers imply a HUGE performance increase.